Steam wrinkled patchwork

Okay, so sometimes the seams on quiltops need to be pressed a different direction or the top needs pressing in general. No steam does not do the job even at the hottest setting, however steam wrinkles the fabric as shown here, especially on thinner fabrics. The customer is allergic to starch. What do you do to avoid or fix this problem? Thanks.

post-1950-0-53085600-1364073463_thumb.jpg

I have one that would make this look like a piece of cake.  It has sashing of STRETCH fabric so you can imagine the problems.  I am thinking I will call her and say I can't quilt this out.  The blocks will stand an inch off the ironing board. It also has piecing open.   How in the world do they do this? 

Well, after viewing Sharon's video, I realized that I do use a similar handmade board -- a big board. But I have had it for about 10 years, so I wonder if it is too hard because perhaps the batting has squished down from so much use. It does seem like the wrinkles happen because the area over seams is thicker than the center of the patches, so the bottom of the iron only presses the areas with the thickest widths, if that makes sense.

I am wondering if she pieced with poly thread.  The heat will make it draw up if the iron is too hot. The reason it is worse where the fabric is thin, is because the thinner fabric doesn't protect the poly thread like a thicker cotton fabric does.   I have successfully gotten these wrinkles out (if it isn't due to the thread  drawing up)...by really spraying it with water, stretching it back into shape and re-pressing.  No matter what, it isn't going to show once its quilted.  Pretty quilt, and the piecing looks "right on." 

Joan,

Have you tried loading it on your frame and misting it with water. Roll, mist, roll, mist until you have it rolled completely on the frame. then roll it back and forth until dry. Helps if you have a fan to blow on it. I do this with really wrinkled backs and the wrinkled areas flatten up as they dry. I would only do this if I felt I would not have any colors that would run or fade. 

Debbie

Newnan, Ga

Pretty quilt!!  Heavy steam on fabrics that haven't been prewashed will do exactly what you have pictured.  I do think once you have it on your frame, you will be OK. 

Your point about allergies to starch is very relevant.  Anyone with a gluten intolerance or celiac disease will have troubles with starch.  I have two nieces with celiac, one of which is a quilter...even workshops and sharing ironing boards can be problematic for her.  Something to keep in mind for all of us!!

Archived