How do you ...

How do you quilt the C's that alternate upright and then upside down along a spine in small borders? Do you mark the spine first or stitch the spine first? Do you space them a certain distance apart, as you would if you used Pam Clarke's lines stencils? I want to learn how to do these but they befuddle me!

I call these reverse C's. It isn't necessary to mark the spine except when you're learning. If necessary, mark the spine but first determine how many C's you need to fill the sashing--determined by whatever spacing you want and how fat your C's will be. 

When doing sashing that turns the corner, the curved C needs to go into the corner with the curve rounding the outside so you're set up to start the next C. To accomplish an "outside C" in each corner you need an odd number of C's between the two corner ones. This requires measuring the area to be filled. If you have 90 inches of sashing to fill and want about two inches between the C's, divide 90" by 2" to get 45--the number of C's that will fit in the sashing and allow you to turn the corners. Since that's an odd number it will work out. Use your favorite marker to tick off every two inches. You'll place each C within two marks.

If the quilt is rectangular, measure the next sashing stretch. If it's 100" and you still want about two inches between, dividing by 2" gives you 50. You need either 49 or 51 C's to turn the corners. Divide 100 by 49 and get 2.04" or divide 100 by 51 and get 1.96". Use a small ruler to mark a shade over 2" or a shade under 2" to get the spacing. Just make sure you have an odd number of spaces. I hope this makes sense. I'll find the page from my sashing book to help illustrate this.

Once you've practiced the reverse C's enough you won't need to mark anything but the spacing. Your brain will follow the correct path as long as you have a target to aim for.

Linda,

This is probably a totally dunce question and I know I should know the answer but....do you go back and embellish after or do it all at the same time?  I have a HUGE Irish Chain on the frame at the moment and this is perfect for the narrow 1st border.  I really like your second photo of the c's with the feathers.  Thanks!! Tracey

Linda,

This is probably a totally dunce question and I know I should know the answer but....do you go back and embellish after or do it all at the same time?  I have a HUGE Irish Chain on the frame at the moment and this is perfect for the narrow 1st border.  I really like your second photo of the c's with the feathers.  Thanks!! Tracey

I try to do it all in one pass, Tracey. I practice on paper and maybe mark the first four on the quilt, just to remember the sequence. My advice as well--start in a corner and mark the segment behind the design as well as in front of the design. That way you can start the corner C in a seam and know exactly how to link it up when you come all around to the beginning again.  :)

Archived