LITTLE MOUSE

Tella

Hi friends,

Here is a quilt I made custom for a lady whose toddler 's nickname is "little mouse", so that was the theme...she loved it....and so did her adorable daughter...

Here is my question to your very knowledgeable, experienced quilters....what would you charge for this...I supplied everything...size was 66x 90...ish...and I know it can be a complex answer but do any of you have an easy method of calculating such a price... I have read some stuff on the net, etc...but it is a difficult, at least for me....

Finally, The quilting improves with each quilt...but please can you give me some constructive criticism......if there is something you can help me improve on I appreciate it...I won't take offence...I am learning...

..post-6000-0-29543300-1364086904_thumb.jpgpost-6000-0-71813500-1364087047_thumb.jpg

post-6000-0-42133500-1364087636_thumb.jpg

post-6000-0-24791900-1364087663_thumb.jpg

post-6000-0-08973600-1364087893_thumb.jpg

post-6000-0-25876800-1364088000_thumb.jpg

That is a sweet quilt. Your qquilting looks like it is good coverage and it goes with the thyme of the quilt very well.

Price this at what you are willing to take for your time and the cost of materials doubled.  Don't hate yourself the day after you sell it.  I find that I am much happier if I put a price that makes me okay with it leavig the house. Your customer will love the time and effort you have put into it.  Noone else will have one like it.

Cute quilt and your quilting is very fitting. 

In the beginning I asked for constructive criticism, too (I still do every once in a while).  We are always hardest on ourselves.  Looks like you're doing just fine.  The more you do, the more comfortable you will feel with your quilting and the better things will start to look to you. 

I like to keep one of my "starter" pieces hanging on the wall to see where I started comparing to where I am now a handful of years later.  Even my customers that are dabbling in quilting their own quilts feel better after seeing that I started in the same place they did and that they, too, are starting to see a difference in their quilting over time.  I still have a hard time trying to keep the quilting design sizes consistent (too tight here and too loose there), but I read people's comments on here and their "voices" are constantly in my head reminding me of that.  That's how I strive to improve, too.

Keep up the good work...you're on the right track!  "Little Mouse" is going to love his new custom quilt!

This is really cute. Your quilting is great. 

When I do a start to finish, I charge for the price of materials (including batting) doubled, plus quilting, plus a binding fee of $20 (because I hate doing it and it takes a minimum of 4 hours for me). That is for a basic, pieced pattern. This usually gets a price that is fair and covers the cost of threads, markers, etc.

If there is applique, I adjust based on the difficulty. If it's a wholecloth, I charge for designing and marking by the hour. I keep track with a stop watch. It is amazing how much more time you spend on design and marking. And that doesn't count the time you lay in bed at night thinking of ideas. These things eat up your time and you should be compensated. Don't sell yourself short.

When you say the price of materials, be patting...and doubled... Re you talking wholesale prices or retail prices...or does it matter...I buy some stuff wholesale...and that is meant to be doubled for retail...but to double the price of stuff one buys retail, wouldn't that make it very expensive??? Wondering...?

This is really cute. Your quilting is great. 

When I do a start to finish, I charge for the price of materials (including batting) doubled, plus quilting, plus a binding fee of $20 (because I hate doing it and it takes a minimum of 4 hours for me). That is for a basic, pieced pattern. This usually gets a price that is fair and covers the cost of threads, markers, etc.

If there is applique, I adjust based on the difficulty. If it's a wholecloth, I charge for designing and marking by the hour. I keep track with a stop watch. It is amazing how much more time you spend on design and marking. And that doesn't count the time you lay in bed at night thinking of ideas. These things eat up your time and you should be compensated. Don't sell yourself short.

It can be expensive, but that's what it costs.  I use my actual costs. If I use coupons, I pass that savings on to the customer.  I don't have wholesale accounts. I'm not sure I would pass that discount on to customers though. I would have to crunch some numbers. This is how I look at it: I don't do this for my full time job. I work 30 hours a week outside of the home for a pretty decent wage. Why do I work part time? (because I can...LOL). I don't work part time at a good paying job so I can work part time at a job that pays $2 an hour. My time is valuable. "I will make you a quilt if you want me too, but this is what it costs. Too much? Okay, I'll work on mine instead." I guess I am spoiled to have such a wonderful machine that is just for me. I am lucky that I don't have to quilt for others. Some day that may change, so I may have to revisit the cost issue, but it works for now. And, people will pay it. I have already done 2 custom quilts this year and 2 more requests. 

Archived