Newbie Question - border and center pantograph

I always work evenly down the quilt if I can.  Quilt the top border, stabilize the side as far as you can. You can then quilt the piano keys as far as you can then do your center.  Piano keys are easy to stop and start so they should be easy to do "as you go"  Do the bottom border last.  I find doing a panto in the center of a quilt a PITA! When you center your panto, just try to keep the beginning and endings as simple as you can, even if you have to draw in a quilting path  to stop and start on the edges.  I just use a piece of paper to make my drawing and tape it over my pattern.   Hope that helps!

Perfect advice from Chris!

I'll add nosily--be sure you are charging enough for this treatment. It's not an E2E design and should be charged as semi-custom. I charge 3.5 cents per inch for this, whether I do a freehand overall or a panto in the center.

Nose retracted--continue your regularly-scheduled forum! :D

Good luck!  The first quilt I did for someone other than myself had a panto in the center and a different treatment in the border ( I not longer remember exactly what that was). This was definitely a case of fools rushing in where angels fear to tread. I merrily quilted away from the back of the machine, but somehow didn't get my marks on my pattern correct, and when I eventually walked around to the front - OH NO!  The panto had drifted into the border.  This required some adult beverage, and several hours of frogging.  I ended up finishing the quilt on my DSM.  I haven't been brave enough to tackle one since.

Yes, a PITA to do, and I'm doing one now. I do tons of pins to hold the border as I need to use a different thread on it. Once I finish the panto I will go back and beadboard those borders. Sometimes i use sticks of cork to lay on the panto to mark the edge of the border to help to prevent going in to the border. And there is alot of walking around from back to front and back again! Linda and Chris give you wise info!  Good Luck!!!

I asked a similar question "how to do panto & custom" on the forum.  Date--Dec 12, 2012.  .  I followed Dawn's instructions and it went beautifully.  I hope you can find the post-- it was most helpful. 

She also told me how to post Avitar--haven't found my picture yet, It is hidden in my pic's somewhere. Janice

What I do to get a bit more accurate when beginning and ending in the middle of a quilt....

I take painters tape and mark where the border starts and stops on top of my panto design (I have plastic covering the panto so lifting tape off is easy)

Then I start at the edge of that tape watching where the border seam is when beginning.  As I move across the quilt towards the other side border and getting closer to the tape, I stop just before to make sure that I will be stopping at the border seam.  Sometimes I will go to the front of the machine and finish the path to make sure I stop right on the seam.

I do try and choose a design (or move the panto) to where it is a good start and stop point and doesn't chop a focal design in half...ie flower or swirl

I have put the panto on the inside of the quilt first and then did the borders with piano key design.  This seemed to work better for me.

I know we are talking about pantos, but...it is much easier to do this if you can use a Circle Lord board, or any brand of long boards. As I get near the border, I run to the front of the machine and guide the last inch or so from the front while the stylus is riding along in the groove. There is no problem following the design this way.

Archived