Bobbin spring issue?

Having a problem with my needle hitting the bobbin and/or top thread wrapping around the bobbin area.  I am using Bobbom Line with aluminum bobbins, and things were working OK for a while.  Ever since the last bobbin ran out, I have not been able to do anything.  Tried 4 different bobbins, and every time, either the needle hits the bobbin, or the top thread gets all tangled up around the bobbin area.  I have been moving slowly, so fortunately the needle has never broken.

I've tried changing needles, changing bobbins, oiling, and cleaning the bobbin case.  After one bobbin case cleaning, I forgot to put back the brake spring, and suddenly I could stitch!  Is it possible the spring is too springy?  I did try bending the springs in a little, but don't know if I really changed anything.  I am afraid to actually quilt without the brake spring, especially as II found a thread nest where my last bobbin ran out.  Any advice?  I really need to get this quilt done!

Thanks in advance!

Betsy,

Did you try a different bobbin case?  That would be the first thing I would try.  Also is the hook moving?  Did you break a needle that might have knocked your timing out?  Are you sure the bobbin case is snapped in completely?  Sounds like it isn't seating itself back far enough.  You'll have lots of nests without the spring so I wouldn't try to quilt without it.  

Heidi,

Thanks for your suggestions.  I don't have a different bobbin case, but I think I'd better order one.  Everything, including the hook, seems to be moving properly, even when I put in the empty bobbin case.  I think the bobbin case is snapped in completely; I push it in firmly, and wiggle it a little, and it seems to be seated.  If it were not it properly, would it fall out?

Haven't broken a needle.  Is there anything else that could have disrupted my timing?

I'm not sure what kind of machine you have.  I have an APQS and it takes a lot to knock the timing out.  Are you sure you have your needle in right?  Bump towards the front?  That will definitely cause this kind of problem.  Check for lint under the finger on the bobbin too.  I'm not sure what else to tell you to check.  Hopefully somebody else will jump in.

Sorry, forgot to say I have a Freedom, new in December,   I got very excited by the possibility that I had foolishly put the needle in wrong the last time, but I just checked the info and pictures in "Getting To Know Your Machine"  and have verified that it is correct.  (I was pretty sure it was right, but it never hurts to double-check.)  I have also checked for lint under the bobbin finger, too - nothing.

Thanks for your suggestions.  It's early yet, so maybe someone else will have the answer.

Needle is definitely all the way up.  However, I just tried switching from an aluminum to a steel bobbin, and that seems to have made a difference.  Currently un-quilting the thread nest area, and will see what happens next.

Do you hear a click, almost a snap when you put the bobbin  in??  The concave place in the bobbin case, should go up, maybe just a little jiggle to get to seat properly.  Is the bobbin thread turning the proper way?  Did you check the bobbin case for the tension you need.

Also I bought 4 extra bobbin cases and haven't regretted having that many to use.. it really helps keep tension set for the various threads.

My Lenni Hates the steel bobbins.  Works fine with aluminum or prewounds.

Hope you get it worked out.

Thank you everyone for your advice.  The bobbin case is definitely in right side up, and I have checked that the bobbin is in the right way every time I put one in. I used aluminum bobbins with the same black Bottom Line last summer without an issue.  So far, the steel bobbin is working, although I did have to fiddle with things again after the first steel bobbin ran out. I will be ordering extra bobbin cases ASAP.  I like the idea of using a different case for different threads, rather than trying to recreate the bobbin tension wheel every time I use a different kind of thread.  And I amy have to give prewounds a try, too.

Realized in my earlier post that it looks like I got my machine last December, as the "2011" part didn't go through.  Haven't used her as much as I should, though, largely because I am still intimidated by her.  Being able to ask for help here is wonderful, and I am resolved to get over my nerves!

Archived