Backing problem?

I just started quilting a block of the month that I did last year, "Memories of Provence". The backing I am using is a Moda French General wide backing. I am CC'ing the little black squares with black, so fine on top, bottom line in the bobbin, Hobbs 80/20 batting.

The back doesn't look so good! I don't think it is batting, but I could be wrong. It looks to me like the backing fabric is shredding where the needle comes through.

post-3245-0-94106600-1364413386_thumb.jpg

Has anyone seen this, and is it batting or backing? Should I frog it and start over? i want to do this soon if i have to before I get too far

I have spent mucho time and $$ on this top and do not want to put a crummy back on it.

The picture is too small I will try again......

Cathy,

I think from your picture that it could be the fabric that is the problem.  I could well be wrong but it looks as though the stitches are displacing the threads and the dyeing is only on the surface.  The white that you are seeing are threads in the fabrics that weren't dyed.  If you have any spare fabric perhaps try a smaller needle and finer thread to see if the same thing still happens.  This is just MHO no doubt there will be others chime in too!

I was just typing the same reply as Sue! Saturated dye, hard finishes, and our big needle will displace and sometimes break the thread to cause the "white" to show.

My best solution when this happens to me (usually with dark Modas and all Thimbleberries fabric) is to use a thin bobbin thread that matches the "whiteness" and not the fabric. Not much help--sorry! :(

If that's batting showing through, removal from the frame and the first wash will help with that.

Cathy, recently, I quilted a backing fabric that was a tightly woven batik and had the same kind of thing happening. At the suggestion here, I spraying the backing fabric with water as I advanced and it helped a lot. You might give this a try. Like the other gals mentioned, a smaller needle was also key. I went up to a bigger needle and it just got worse. Good luck! Report back on your results, whatever you end up doing, would you?

Thanks, everyone for your suggestions. Sue and Linda I do think the problem is undyed threads that are showing white, but I am worried more about what looks like broken threads to me.

Linda you said something about hard finishes-- this fabric has a starches feel to it, is this what you are referring to? Would washing it before using help?

Bonnie, I tried a smaller needle and I have bottom line in the bobbin. That didn't help. I am not sure how to spray with water... Do you spray the backing on the roller before advancing or underneath after advancing but before quilting?

I have large setting triangles that I was going to feather in black. The top fabric is black and i don't want to use white bobbin thread, but I am worried about how the back will look. I should probably rip and find a new back, ugh!!

Hi Cathy, my problem was broken fibers as the needle would punch thru the batting and backing. I sprayed the backing with a mister bottle from under the frame with each advance. I would say it made about a 90% difference. From memory. The water seemed to soften the fibers enough so that the needle/batting stopped tearing into the backing. It may be worth a shot.

Cathy , I once used a moda wide back and found the finish to be different from their regular off the bolt fabrics. It was definitely moda, but it's quality had an inferior feel to it. Almost like shower curtain quality. I stay away from them now. As for the red based colours, like those above have mentioned, the dyeing process doesn't saturate the fibre, hence when you stitch on it, it often displaces the thread. I read somewhere, (can't for the life of me remember where now) that a quilter (high profile one, wish I could remember who) stated she never used moda reds for that reason. She prefers to use Robyn Pandolph fabrics for the reds, as the fabrics are dyed better.

Yeah, Bonnie, that is just what my back looks like.  I sprayed underneath, and it did not seem to help,  but don't think I got the backing damp enough. 

Meg,at first I thought it was just pokies, because it seemed the holes were so big that I was seeing the batting.  That may be some of it, but I think the back has some sizing or something to make the fibers so stiff that when the needle pierces it actually breaks the fiber sometimes.

I haven't done that much, so I am frogging right now, and am going to try washing the backing to see if that helps.  I have a small leftover piece to try.  IF it doesn't help, I will do something different for the back.   

I have a few of these wide backs that I just bought and I am so disappointed that they don't seem to be the same quality fabric.  Julie, that is very interesting about the red Moda fabrics.  Actually, I have had several times lately, when quilting quality (make that expensive LOL) fabric, where the fabric  seems to get a 'run" from time to time, so that I get a micro white lines on the dark print fabric.  I am starting to feel like I am paying more for less!!!

Archived