New foot?

Hi everybody,

I'm wondering if anyone has the new foot on their machine and if they do, could they post a pic of it? I'd like to see one.

Also, if you have it, do you like it?

Pros/Cons?

Thanks in advance.

Meg

Hi Meg,

Here's a picture of all of the feet available for both the Millie and the George machines. Keep in mind that the "new foot" isn't really different from any old feet except that there's a joint in it where you change out the lower portion for the accessory foot you want. The accessory feet availability are what make the foot different. The most popular accessory foot people seem to use the most is the "Clog" foot...it's got an open toe, but is still high all around the edges and back to use rulers. One local quilter in Des Moines has let that foot become her main foot (she rarely used rulers across the front of the foot.)

APQS INTERCHANGEABLE HOPPING FEET.pdf

I just had my Liberty changed over to the new foot that looks regular.   I did it so I could get a ruler on the back side of my foot.  My original foot did not allow that.  Later this year I will buy the accessory feet.  I haven't done any quilting yet except to practice to make sure I had the timing right and the tension good.  I will be interested in what others say about all the new feet.

I can't answer that last question, Meg, but I quilt on a George and I got the platform & saddleshoe feet for him just this week.  I'm quilting with templates for the first time ever and already doing stuff I didn't think would be possible on a fixed machine.  Kudos to APQS for redesigning the feet and including George customers in the mix!

Nancy in Tucson

Hi Meg,

Well, technically you could use a ruler across the front, but its angle would be determined by how it rubbed up against the two front edges. Think of the foot like a horse shoe -- the ruler would rub against both of the open ends. So let's say you were trying to use a ruler to stitch along a horizontal ditch. If the ditch appeared to "climb" a little and you needed to position the ruler at a little angle instead of horizontal, you wouldn't have anything on the foot to steady you except where the ruler would rub across ONE of those open toes or ends. It's doable, but not as easy as if the foot was completely enclosed all the way around.

Yes, you can do it  yourself. Some of us with the older machines will have to first buy the Interchangeable Hopping Foot for $137.50 before our machines will take the accessory feet; then you add the accessory feet on Dawn's attachment.

I was lucky enough to have Dave do it when he was here.  I'm telling you it looked pretty darn hard when he was changing it out on my Liberty.  It was time consuming and physical and he's done a few of them.  It would be a lot easier if you had someone helping you.  It's doable...but probably not for the faint of heart.   

Carmen: Apparently the retrofitting to a split shaft is easier on some machines than others.  I think is is more difficult on the smaller machines.  They are recommending that George owners send their machines back to Iowa rather than trying to do it yourself.  Like Oma, I had Dave Jones here a year ago.  I ordered the split shaft from APQS parts dept. in advance.  Dave changed out the shaft on my George and it definitely did not look easy.  I'm SO glad that I did it, though.  The open toe foot is terrific and now that I'm experimenting with the thicker feet & rulers, I'm delighted with the upgrade.

You can check with APQS to see if there is a qualified technician in your area or perhaps traveling to your area with a Road Show in the near future.

Archived