Bernina

i have a 440 and an Activa.  I love them both and never have had an issue with either.   I use the 440 practically every day, and it is 10 years old, runs like a dream still.  the activa is only about 2 years old, also no issues.  Never an issue. after spending many days, nights and weekends with my machines, I find I use the same features all the time - and 99% of the time it is the straight stitch. I saw the 730s and 830's at the local quilt shows and at the local bernina dealer, but for what I use it is too much machine - and the price would seriously impact my fabric and thread budget :-)  

I agree with what the others say, test drive it, a machine is a big investment and can impact how much you love or dread using it.  If it is right for you, you'll know it once you spend some time with the machine.

funny story about Bernina, hubby and I were traveling through Germany and decided to just point the car in a direction and go explore.  we ended up in Switzerland  - at the Bernina factory.  I went in and took my photo in the lobby, and then in front of the sign as well.  boy I was a happy girl to find that on our adventure that day!

I owned and operated a quilt shop for ten years and was a machine sub dealer for Twin Falls Sewing Center, Idaho. If you want to send your machine to a fabulous place to be serviced and be repaired fully or have an honest explanation about it then contact this business . I still take my machines there to be serviced and buy accessories even though there is a local dealer. Lisa E. And I just made a run up there (180 miles one direction) to get both her Bernina and my Viking serviced. Well worth it. They have been in business over 30 years and take all the training they can get on their brands. Check them out: tfsewing.com.

I found an old 830 record at our local Goodwill, no feet or attachments but it does a BEAUTIFUL straight stitch & an amazing zig zag & satin stitch. I was so thrilled to find it. I'm a collector of vintage machines & I LOVE to sew on them. I honestly prefer the old, mechanical, metal machines to anything of the new ones. 

Archived