I knew it would happen sometime! Please, need your help!

I am going along nicely on my Millie and hit an intersection......just the spot where several seams intersect, and I hear the noise, whew just a thread break. Check the needle, there is a burr. Replace the needle. Do a test on the side, forward, back, side to side and circles. Looks good. Pay close attention, slow going...and it happens again. This needle breaks in half..Yikes! Do I dare look? The shaft of the needle has clearly shredded the fabric front and back. Deep breath....I have retimed the machine and have done a test. Seems to be ok. But I am scared s---less to go on. How do I repair? At first thought, use some fray check, stick a piece of fusible web along with a piece of matching fabric underneath. But it is a white area. Then the thought hit me....the forum .....reach out for help and suggestions for repair and how to calm down! Take a step back......

Hi Julie,

First, take a very deep breath and let it out slowly.  Is this your quilt or a customer quilt?  If it is your quilt then I would do exactly what you suggested above with the patch.  Quilts are normally so big, no one will notice the small repaired spot.  If it is a customer quilt, call the gal and explain what happened.  Hopefully she (or he) will have the matching fabric.  I would also search this site for how others did repairs when they did something like this also.

This too shall pass.

Gail

Get a piece of the same fabric, from the customer if necessary and applique it over the top.  Then re quilt, that area. The customer will appreciate  your  honesty, and you can give a leson how to lessen the seam bulk.

Then Grab your 3lb sledge hammer and beat the other bulkies into submission!

I do just what you said to do.  Get the same white from the customer if you don't have the same one.  Applique on top is my second choice.  I had to do that recently and the quilt won a blue ribbon.    So if you do it right no one will see it but the customer should be told.  You don't want her to be surprised by someone other than you telling her they found it. 

I had pieced a quilt and had it for a few years before quilting it and while quilting discovered a small hole in it.  I just about had a heart attach eventhough it was my own.  I just could not understand what had happened and didnt know what to do.  I finished quilting and removed from machine and dug out matching fabrics and decided to make patch but did not do only one I did 3 and put randomly on it and everyone who saw it thought it was supposed to be like that.  Hope you can possible do the same and good luck.

This just happened to me. I removed the quilt (thank goodness for zippers), replaced the block that was torn with fabric from the customer, reloaded the quilt and finished the quilting. I asked the customer for label information and embroidered a label to cover the hole in the back. She just picked it up tonight and was thrilled. Whew!!

Archived