seeking bobbin advice

My friends - this forum has been so helpful... so I return for advice.  My George and I have been together now for about two months, doing quite well.  The only area of a little bit of trouble is bobbins.  I am using both pre-wounds and self-wounds (on my Bernina) of Bottom Line.  I notice the self-wound bobbins do not keep the tension as well - is that because they are not wound as tight?  Sometimes the bobbin catches on the race, and then breaks...  not a huge problem here, but just something I would like to improve. 

I know people hate the Widewinder, which came with my George.  I do want to self-wind bobbins, cause I have a bunch of good Bottom Line and other quality thread I would like to use... so, if I get a better winder, like the Turbo Winder (I think it is called), will I have more success with self-wound bobbins? 

Thanks all for the advice. 

Hi Katquilter,

The Turbo Winder does improve the wind of the bobbins because it contains an industrial tension assembly so that you can change the pressure on the bobbin thread as you wind it. Since you're winding the bobbins on your Bernina, you might want to check the firmness of the bobbin after it's wound. Try pushing on the thread inside the bobbin with your finger. It should feel very firm, not spongy. Since you can't easily change the pre-tension on your Bernina winding mechanism short of wrapping the thread twice around the winding spring, a turbo winder might do better. 

You might want to give the Sidewinder Deluxe that came with your machine another shot, too. It does contain a tensioner (unlike the regular Sidewinders) so you can adjust the bobbin thread pressure to get a firm bobbin. You may be pleasantly surprised with the results!

Gee, Dawn, thanks.  I didn't see that I got the DELUXE... in fact, it was still in the box... did you know it works better out of the box????

But the best news of all - for some reason DH thinks the bobbin winder is just the coolest thing - (maybe like a power tool) - and has offered to wind bobbins for me any time I need them...  he says just leave the empties out and he will refill them as needed !!!

oh wow, this is great...  thanks for the help,  Katquilter

mu 12 year old grandson loves to wind my bobbins, so I just let him.  He also has gotten to like running the Freedom too, he thinks this machine is awesome.  Well I think he is awesome and the machine too.  So glad to have my grandson around and that he likes my quilting machine is just icing on the cake!

Archived