knots of bobbin thread on bottom and one found on the top

Last weekend I finished a quilt using superior metallic on top and bottom line in the bobbin. I have about 3 places where the bobbin thread has formed a knot - 2 on the back of the quilt and one on the top. Anyone have any idea what caused this? I've posted pics on my flicker page.

Any help or suggestions is very much appreciated!

Debbie

http://www.flickr.com/photos/debbiemcdonald/

PS  I know what caused the wobbly stitches, my wheel was not sitting straight on the carriage.  :huh:

sometimes i get that and it is when the thread quickly spools off the cone causing the knots.  if you put a pin in the loop from the top it will pull the knot apart and into a loop which can then be tied off with a piece of thread and buried back into the quilt.

i posted photos a while back how to do this but not sure how to find that post now.

you can use a thread net or batting in the tgread guide above the cone to minimise this

Hi Janette,

I did as you suggested and it worked. I was not able to unknot the knot but I get it pulled into the quilt sandwich. I was using a thread sock on the cone but perhaps I need to get a larger one. Mine is probably too small as this was one of the really large cones that Superior sold a year or so ago. I don't see them this large on the website now. It is much larger than 3000 yds......Thank you for this information. I was afraid it was the bobbin, but my tension looks good everywhere else on the quilt. Was hoping it was something I had overlooked and it was!

Debbie

Archived