New Millie Arriving Today - I can't wait!

Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new to the forum and longarm quilting.  My new Millie is scheduled to arrive this afternoon.  This is my first longarm.  I'm so excited.  My whole family is geared up & ready.  Hubby is clearing the garage as a staging area for the boxes.  My 18 year old son is sleeping - preparing for the heavy lifting.

I've been quilting for 30+ years and have quilted over 100 quilts on my domestic machine - up to king size.  I'm really looking forward to having a longarm.  I'm hoping the learning curve isn't too steep.  I have about 2 dozen quilt tops waiting to be quilted and many more that are in various stages of completion.

I bought some inexpensive muslin to use for practice.  Any suggestions on the best way to get started? Any ideas to shorten the learning curve?

Thanks, Karen

Nothing can take the place of practice...  Relax and enjoy!!  Are you signed up to take the beginner class from your local dealer or plan to travel to Des Moines soon?  Your local dealer should be a great help to you and will have many helpful hints.  This forum is the best!!  Lot's of helpful hints and suggestions from wonderful people.  Don't hesitate to ask any question...there are no dumb questions...we have all been a beginner!

Have a super day!!

How exciting - congratulations! And welcome to the APQS family.  PPP on muslin, take a class if you can, and don't be afraid to take one or two of your tops to try out your practicing earlier than you think you are ready.  You will be surprised how quickly you catch on to longarming especially as you are well experienced quilting on your DM.  Once you have that actual top on the machine ideas will come to you and you'll do wonderful.  I still learn so much from others' pictures, so please share them here!  Again, congratulations, and have a blast with your new machine!

Hi Karen,  Welcome to the informative, crazy, insane, funny, prayerful world of APQS quilting,

(no matter what brand).

I'm just so happy to hear your excitement and the new machine.  The main diff in dsm and

long arm is with dsm you move the fabric, with the long arm you move the machine.  If you

can transfer that hand motion of the dsm, to your hands on the Milli handles, I think the learning

curve will be a lot shorter.

I used a dry erase board and old phone book pages to practice on.. it usually takes 2 or 3 phone 

book pages, but hey, they are free and aren't bad to go into recycle.

Good luck and stay with us..

Rita

Karen,

Welcome to this forum! You will definitely feel the love here! I have been out of the quilting loop for awhile, but right back in here with so much wonderful support and help.

Have fun with your new machine.

Remember to breathe, and sleep, and eat and surface from your machine to occasionally say hello to your family.

~Shea

Karen,

Welcome to the family!  You are going to wonder how you ever did a King size quilt on a DSM after you start using your longarm!  Get some DVD's to watch and there are lots to see on you tube too!  Lots of practice and you will feel quite at home on your new machine in no time!!!  We are here if you have any questions!!!  :)

Wow! What a great first day.  Thanks for the replies. 

Millie arrived around noon.  We spent the afternoon putting her together.  Then I watched the DVD and spent the evening playing.  I need more practice but I think it went well today.  I started with some simple loopy fills then moved on to some flames.  I tried some basket weave too.  I attempted to upload some photos below but included the urls just in case the pictures don't come through.

http://flic.kr/p/e8eGy8

http://flic.kr/p/e8knib

http://flic.kr/p/e8eGk2

Archived