Needle Size in Batiks

Just got a beautiful batik quilt from a regular customer. It is done with circles and half circles...some of the half circles are fused on.

I'm still too new to know the answer to what needle size I shoukd use and can I sew over the fused areas. I don't have to...could design around them.

Someone told me a size 5, but I don't know if that is right???? Logically, I thought a thinner needle...like 3.5?

Thanks for all suggestions

Kate Meyers

Kate, I'm fairly new at this too and had my first small batik at Christmas. I fussed with the stitching and tension all the way through it. My LA friends advised to use the 3.5 needle because batiks are so dense in thread count. I bought one to try on my next batik. I think thread would be an issue too, probably a thinner thread - this is a guess here. Good Luck with your quilt - I'm sure some veteran quilters will help us both here.

Sharon.

Kate,

I have found that for me, batiks don't make a difference at all as compared to regular cotton prints. And as I love batiks myself, my own quilts are mostly batik fabric anyway (top and backing).

For me, the thread used dictates which size needle I use. As I mostly work with Rainbows and Highlights by Superior or the Aurifil rayon thread, I have switched to doing most of my quilting using a #3.5 needle. For King Tut, I'm changing to a size #4.

Hope this helps.

Birgit

Archived