NQR - Trigger finger release surgery

Is there anyone out there with trigger finger that they have had surgery on? My finger locked so hard yesterday I couldn't unlock it. I had to see the doc and have two injections and let him unlock it for me. I'm going to be scheduled for surgery soon. Doc tells me I will be back to normal relatively quickly but you know how that goes! I'm just wondering what the real downtime will be so I can schedule quilts accordingly. If anyone can share their experience, I would appreciate it!

Linda, in my case it is probably from overuse ... nearly 30 years of doing medical transcription. The tendon develops a nodule and then it doesn't glide freely and smoothly through the sheath it is encased in and gets hung up on the nodule. I've had it for 14 years so it is not surprising it has escalated to this point. I can only partially bend that finger for the last few years but yesterday, oops, I carried a heavy table and the finger snapped closed to where I couldn't force it open  :(

I just had a trigger finger release in January. The surgery was a little more extensive than my doctor thought it would be, and I wound up with about 20 stitches. I wore a bandage for 10 days, no lifting anything more than 2 pounds with that hand. I was able to longarm. After the stitches came out (10 days after surgery), I was released for all activities. I just completed 4 weeks of occupational therapy, and the finger is doing fine! Still bent, but feels great.

I had it done on my left hand. The exam hurt more then after the surgery! Had on problems.  I never even had to take pain meds after surgery!  I have a faint scare on the palm of my hand just at the base of the finger. One of the best things I've done done!!!! :)

For thumb one, Dr. #1 put me to sleep and did the surgery. For thumb two Dr. #2 put me into twilight sleep and gave me a big shot through the side of my right hand straight into the nerve that serves the thumb. I came up off the table when they put that needle in my hand and I was OUT! Well, when I was getting over surgery the thumb never hurt once but my hand still bothers me from time to time. I told the Dr. I should have been given an opportunity to say "no thank you" and he should never just assume that would be ok to do!!!!! They don't have to give you a nerve block so I'd just say "no!" Needless to say I like Dr. #1 way better!

Sylvia, I have my preop Friday and I will be sure to ask about the nerve block and tell them  NO WAY. I have heard of this happening to hands, arms, shoulders, so it's no surprise but I hadn't thought about it. 

Marquetta, wow, that would be a bummer to come out of a 2-stitch surgery with 20 stitches and having to do occupational therapy to boot!!! You poor thing! I'm glad you were able to get back to quilting and life so quickly.

Yay, Dell! I'm shooting for a recovery like yours! with the happiness to follow, LOL It will be nice to bend my finger and have it be normal again.

Lynne, my finger started out like yours, years and years ago. But I do a lot of repetitive motion that has aggravated it over time. Hopefully you will stay in the "no pain" and freedom of range of motion status and never move up to the painful locking and catching! Oh, and you might ask your doctor about exercises you can do (stretches) to keep your finger from getting worse.

Archived