I'm new here, getting ready to start a business

Lori

Hi, I just now signed up to be a member.  I'm in the process of buying a longarm quilting machine.  My plan is to start slow. I'll practice on my own quilts, and my sister and sister in-law's quilts.  I hope that in time, I'll pay for my machine and start making some money at it.  I'm really excited because I love making quilts, and I really love quilting them.  My biggest fear is dealing with difficult customers.  Any words of wisdom?

Do what you love; live your dream

I am not sure if this qualifies as words of wisdom....however, 99 percent of customers are not difficult.  They love what they do, they love what you do and they love what you can do for their quilts.  You can usually tell within 5 minutes if things are going to be uncomfortable with a potential client.  At that point you have a choice - you can recommend another quilter in your area, or if you decide to take it on, just know that for what ever reason, that quilt will be the one that gives you the most difficulty.  I am not sure why that is, (maybe the quilt gods laughing at us?) but difficult people often equals difficult quilts.  Just go in with your eyes open and remember there are way more fabulous quilters out there than not!   Good luck with your new business and have fun.

Words of wisdom?

Respect--respect the effort that went into their project and expect respect back for your efforts as well.

Courtesy--extend your thanks that they trust you. Honor the schedule and inform your customers of any delays. Communicate.

Humor--let joy into your studio. Realize that you'll find a few sour pusses among the quilting angels. You'll laugh about the glitches...next year.

Perspective--you can't quilt for every potential customer, can't quilt more quilts than you have time for, and need to set real time aside for you, your family, and fun.

Welcome Lori!

You have to develop a thick skin and a confidence that your quilting skills are worth money. Customers will make comments you don't appreciate and you just have to let them roll off you...or vent to a great husband or friend. Keep on quilting for the nice appreciative customer. We do the magic that makes a top turn into a quilt!

Thanks everyone!  I really appreciate all of your help. I'm also new to being part of a forum.  I've never done this before, and when I checked this morning and saw that I had 5 replies, I was thrilled.  I wasn't sure how this works.  When I was looking around the forums yesterday, it seemed like everyone knew each other. I wasn't sure how I would fit in, but you've made me feel welcome just by answering me. 

Thanks, Lori

Great thread and good friends, you can always request help from this group.

Give your best and treat each quilt top as if it were your personal quilt, take what you learn from each quilt as skill builder. Before you know, you and your machine will turn out quilt tops into beautiful works of art.

Show your work when you are ready and set aside time for you and your family.

Lori, I have been going through a horrible period in my life and these ladies have been here for me when I had nowhere else to turn.  Everyone is accepting of each other and before you know it.......you have a new "family". I would suggest you post your new topics in the "gone quilting chat about anything" section though. More people tend to see them there.

WELCOME!!!!!

Welcome lori...this is a great place to be.

I purchased my first longarm in 2008 and primarily quilt for me. Even though I recently started a business, things are moving very slowly. I have learned lots from each quilt I do however. I love freehand edge to edge. It takes the stress out of custom quilting for me. I set my tension, and go for it. Once you find a style that is you, you will enjoy yourself in the world of longarming. This took me nearly 4 years to find my style.

Oh...and most quilters are very nice, they just want their quilts finished. Do not run past your deadline without communication.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi i'm new here i mostly just sew small projects at home but now that I've become a new Grandma to twins it has sparked an interest in doing more stuff like quilts. How do I get started? I would like to take a class maybe online? Does anyone know an easy starter pattern? Whats the best fabric and thread to use?

Welcome, rozay64 (don't know your first name).  Why don't you check out the crafty dot com site as they offer all sorts of classes for beginners.  Start small, maybe some baby quilts with simple blocks of different flannel prints. There are tons of free patterns on-line.  Do a search of images for free quilt patterns.  We don't know what type of machine you have so it would be hard to suggest threads (domestic and long arms run a lot different, although you can use the long arm thread easily in your domestic. In that case any threads you see mentioned here will work.)  Good luck, and congrats on the new grandbabies!

Welcome, rozay64, I too am a newbie and found a class offered through my local quilt guild.  We met one day a week for 5 weeks and made a sampler with 4 blocks; each with a different techinque.  You could also check at your local quilt store.  The quilt shop near me offers great classes.  Good luck and happy quilting!

Rozay64 - Welcome - Why don't you start a new thread?  You will get lots more responses that way as this thread was started by Lori and the quilters here want to help her too.  This forum is mostly about machine quilting though, not the process of creating a quilt - although this group is always willing to help anyone.

Lori - Welcome -  You have come to the right place for advice and you will get a lot of help here!  This forum treats you as family whether you are a newbie, regular, or just occasional browser.   I don't get a chance to read this forum daily, but every time I do I am in awe of the knowledge!  And, if I do post a question I always feel I am part of the family!

Archived