Quiltazoid improved attachment arm

JenniferBernard

I picked up my Quiltazoid from Adam and Linda Saturday and had a play day. They have changed the way it rests and clamps to the rails and it is great! It is much more stable. I am doing some show quilting with it and need precise placement. We also decided I needed to use the new clamp in my classes at MQS in May. I will post some pictures tomorrow of the crazy things I am experimenting with. I am having lots of fun! I love quilting!

Jennifer,  I sure wish I could take a class from you. I really would like to utilize my Quitizoid more.  I can't make it to MQS though.  Dang! I'm looking forward to your pictures!  I just wish I had more time to play.  It would be great if you could put out a video.  What do you think?  Talk to Adam and Linda and see if they would be interested in a joint effort.  It would surely help us all!  I would buy one for me and one for my BFF! lol

I'm anxiously waiting for MQS and your classes.   I signed up for both so I can learn how to better us it and all the pieces I bought.  

Loved your beautiful jacket that won ribbons at last year's MQS, and very impressed at your use of the QZ. 

More DVDs on stuff like this would be wonderful!    I am not conveniently located to be able to take classes, but I love the DVDs because I can go back and watch again and again instead of forgetting what I learned at a class before I get home!    :D  :D  :D  :D

So glad to hear that I actually have someone taking my classes. MQS doesn't tell you how your class sign up is coming so I am thrilled to know someone is taking my class! I do occasionally do lectures and trunk shows for yields here in Iowa. I have a trunk show with all my quilted garments that I have done once and will do again in November.

I would have to talk to Linda and Adam about a DVD because they are more tech savy than I am!

Lynn maybe we can work out a dry run of my classes. I am still working on all the timing and notes for them.

• 3 weeks later...

Video or at least a booklet with pictures please.  I wanted to go to MQS and take the Quiltazoid class but probably won't make it.  My Quiltazoid is an expensive dust collector and I really would like to be able to use it more.  

A book of picture ideas would be wonderful.  I'm just not able to visualize something on a quilt unless I have seen it finished.  No original designs coming here!

I've used it for a baptist fan on a queen size quilt, tedious, but awesome results. Filled in blocks with spiros and quilted a top with all circles with not so awesome results (my circles were too big and I couldn't fit them in by the time I got to the bottom half of the quilt).  I've got boards, but really no clue how to use them creatively on a quilt.  Are all the old discussions and pictures still around on the forum?  Maybe I should print some off and hang them up to inspire me.

I've never had a stability issue that I know of with my Quiltazoid, but then mine mounts differently than any of yours.  My quilt top and back rollers are more like a Gammill's than APQS. (my top roller is below the back roller)  With that configuration, the Quiltazoid has no place to clamp (the new system would have solved that problem for me).  I mount a seperate rail on my machine when I use the Quiltazoid, and the QZ clamps to it. 

I have noticed that you have to be careful not to lean on the rail, as there is some flex in it.  Leaning on a roller also flexes it, so the same caution would apply.  Maybe since mine clamps to a bare 1.25" square tubing it is more secure than clamping to a fabric covered roller.  Maybe that's the stability issue I'm unfamiliar with.  I don't have to unclamp mine when I roll the quilt, and I think you all do.  The new system would solve that as well.  Jim

Yes, I have found that you have to be careful of leaning on your rails. I have also accidentally stepper on my auto advance foot pedal! I said more than whoops!! I am doing some really detailed custom quilting with my Quiltazoid and I worry about every little wobble (or lean). Usually it is pretty stable.

Archived