I have a Lenni, which came with a closed 1/4 foot.  I want a different foot so I can see the needle better when the head is at the back of the quilt.  I can't decide between the Flip Flop (low profile closed foot) and the Sneaker (low profile with front cut out).  APQS advertises the Sneaker as good for microstippling, which I don't see myself doing any time soon.  I just want to see what I'm doing!

Any suggestions?  Sounds like you have the Sneaker -- anyone else have an opinion??

Thanks,

Robin

Robin,

I just want to clarify something about your Lenni machine foot. Double check on the back of the hopping foot to see if you have two small, black screws there. If you do, you can order the interchangeable feet whenever you decide what you'd like. However, if you don't already have the "interchangeable" part as evidenced by those screws, the machine would need to come back to the Factory for a retrofit. The foot bushings aren't recessed enough on older Lenni and George models to clear those screws, so they have to be replaced and reinstalled. Then you'd need to buy the "complete" foot that does have the screws (we'd install it at that time) so that you actually could exchange the lower portion. Hope that makes sense!

Linda, my machine is a 2012 model too, and when the new set of hopping feet arrived in the mail (thank you APQS :) ) I changed my hopping foot over straight away to the open toe version. I love, love, love it! I love it for the visibility, especially when restarting a stitching line from a broken thread, or thread change.

Here is a previous discussion where Dawn posted a link to a PDF document that shows the new feet.  If you do not have the newer model machine with two screws holding the presser foot bar then you will have to change it out.  The new regular hopping foot is $137.50.  I ordered the new feet yesterday and am looking forward to playing with them.

http://forum.apqs.com/index.php?/topic/31578-interchangeable-feet-ruler-foot-confused/?hl=feet

Thanks for the link....I have a 2012 Lucey with the two screws...so it looks like I am good to go...Does anyone know why the "clog" and "flip Flob" foot have a side screw while the "Sneaker" does not? or is the shot of them taken from the side?  Like above...any comments from folks using these feet welcome!  Not that I have time at the momment....another storm with another 6-9 inches possible on wednesday into thursday... my biceps are starting to bulge from all that shoveling!  Lin

Dawn,

Thanks for thinking about whether my Lenni can easily change feet.  I called earlier this week and talked to Amy, and she checked my original order, and the answer is yes - I can change feet without it being a big deal.  I've looked quickly at the back of the foot to see at least one screw (I didn't look for 2 at the time, and my machine is not close by at the moment), so I'm sure I'm in good shape.  Any also emailed me the flyer on the feet.  I agre with the other poster who wished that more of this information was on the website.  I wouldn't have known about it at all if I hadn't "complained" (nicely, I hope) when Sylvia came to do my training.  I thought I needed to lower my machine or something far more radical in order to be able to see the needle.

My biggest question is which foot -- flip flop or sneaker?  Sounds like sneaker (open toe) is the crowd favorite, but I'm wondering what APQS had in mind for each foot when it designed them.

Thanks for all the good info from everyone. 

According to the sheet describing the feet, the Flip Flop  glides around applique and gives you great visibility, and the Sneaker is for micro-stippling.  Beyond that, I'm not sure what the real difference is, because they seem basically the same, except with the cut-out on one.  I haven't tried the Sneaker yet, but I just put the Flip Flop on my machine today, since I wanted to "glide around applique," and it is AWESOME!!!!  I was perfectly content with my original foot, even though I had to strain sometimes to see my stitching, but I love, love, LOVE this new foot!!!  I don't know how I lived without it!  I'd also be curious to know the difference in purpose between the two feet and the reasoning behind it.

Dawn,

I want to order the open toe foot...I have the 2012 Lucey with 2 black screw at the back...After reading everything I think I want to but the set of 3 feet you have in you attachment for $200...I don't think I need the $137 foot, right....but when I went to the parts page I only see the $137 foot and the 3 feet set is not listed...I would like one..thanks, tella

Hi Tella,

Just give us a call on Monday and we can order the kit for you. You're right, we're working toward the debut of our online store in the next few weeks so we haven't overloaded the current parts page with lots of parts. I've attached the flyer so you can see them. (You won't need the $137.50 foot since you already have the interchangeable portion on your Lucey.)

APQS INTERCHANGEABLE HOPPING FEET.pdf

• 8 months later...

I do all of it and I wonder how easy it is to change out hopping feet (new 2013 Millie) if I get them. My current hopping foot needs to be tweaked by hubby because one spot on back makes me do a tiny whoops when using templates. Will new one need to be fixed too, the one which templates can be used?

Thanks

I changed mine out and I haven't had the problem with the bump on the back of the hopping foot I had with the old one. You can change it out yourself. If you are comfortable retiming, or Amy has a way without retiming, but it ruins your old foot. I kept mine for just in case I totally screw it up. I like the new ruler foot a whole lot better. I haven't ordered the other feet yet, but I will soon.

Shirley

I have used all the feet on the quilt I'm working on now. It's very easy to change between them. My understanding is the newer machines are ready for the new feet. Mine is a 2010 so I needed to totally remove the old foot and replace it. Lisa C's dear hubby did this for me. I have not regretted changing to the new feet at all.