music, do you or don't you

I'm curious to know where quilters stand on this.  I've had some quilters tell me that they won't listen to music or have the tv on while they're quilting, because they need to be able to hear differences in the machine and know right away if something is wrong.  Some say it's too distracting and they are afraid they'll lose their flow and make mistakes.  I'm just a beginner, so I would like to hear different points of view.

i go both ways. i can listen to music that is playing in the room (not through headphones) or not. the music does not distract me to the point of not being able to hear my machine and the bobbin case rattle as it runs empty. 

i generally have a song or two running through my head anyways, so I might as well have the music playing!  :P

I would depend on if you do other things while listening to music or watching tv.  When I had little ones at home I had the tv or radio on for background noise all the time.  Then through the years I began to like the quietness of being alone to think about what I was doing without interruptions.  Sometimes  I put the tv on and watch a taped show or HGTV or I set it on a "oldies" music channel and sometimes I sit in the quietness.  Do what appeals to you.  By the way...I hear my machine just fine with or without other noises.  I've never been able to use headphones...too claustrophobic I guess. 

My hearing isn't as acute as it used to be but I don't have a problem hearing my bobbin running low when I listen to music and quilt. I, however, am not coordinated enough to sing and quilt at the same time ... which is probably a good thing for anyone in earshot.  :lol:

I have to have the Tv on or music. I have ringing in the ears so I never have quiet and the other noises drown it out. Sometimes even to sleep. It is always on but most of the time I couldn't even tell you what I was watching. Drives my husband nuts. I leave it on reruns and oldies mostly since I don't wonder if I missed something. It is a personal preference. I have caught myself forgetting to roll the quilt dancing to music doing a panto luckily I caught myself before I went over it more than twice.

Shirley

I sometimes put music on when I'm loading a big quilt, to help pass the time.  Otherwise, I find it too distracting. 

I'll have my soaps playing on tv when I'm piecing and ironing, but not cutting or quilting. 

Something has changed in my mind these past few years (I'm in my early 50's).  I can't multitask as well as I used to.

I listen to as many of the oldies as I can, and sometimes have TV on, if one of my few programs are on.. I still never have the sound on so loud as to drown out the machine..Some Great listening is Daniel O'Donnel who is an irish singer.. Some of his song's are on the music, if you just type music then his name.   

Misic is a background once again, and his voice is beautiful.. 

Rita

Once in a while music but mostly old tv shows, my favorite feel good old show is the Andy Griffith Show or Turner classic movies, I know, if it wasn't for all of the electric wheelchair, call buttons for help, hearing aid comercials, etc....I wouldn't feel so old, have to get my dvd player working again.  I like to have the background noise going and don't necessarily pay attention to it, but I can hear every noise my machine makes including a thread break....I need something to drown out the dog snoring noise...:)

The TV runs from waking to sleeping in my house. I easily tune it out, or just listen to it while I'm quilting. It's never been a problem to hear the machine over it, and I don't get distracted by it. Someone walking into the room and talking to me is a HUGE distraction. It doesn't bother me for someone to watch, they just have to be quiet while they do.

I am hooked on AUDIO books and listen to them all the time while I am quilting ,

It really helps when you have a quilt you really don't want to do, you know the one where you keep on making excuses about doing and go and clean the house or some other awful thing rather than quilt, but if I am listen ending to a good book it makes me stay quilting so I can find out what is going to happen. LOVE THEM

Our Library has a service called One Click Digital and I can download books for free to my iphone.

Love it

Marlene

Sometimes I listen to music, sometimes to audio books...never to TV.....it depends on what i am doing...If I am chain piecing or meandering...then I like to listen audio books...helps keep me awake!  If I am learning something new or doing something that takes more concentration...music in the background helps....if I have to think too hard when listening to the audiobook, I find I miss some of the story line and have to go back and relisten to that segment.....I used to knit during meetings at work when we were allowed to do that and found it actually helped me listen to what was being said...It was sort of like keeping my brain on idle instead of it totally stalling out....especially when the speaker was going on and on about something......Lin

Wow, thanks everyone for your answers.  I guess a person just needs to try things and see what works and what doesn't.  I like the idea of audiobooks.  I've never thought of that before.  It was fun reading all your ideas.

I start to panic if I get close to the end of an audio book and don't have another one ready.  It has gotten to the point that I cannot quilt without an audio book in my ear.  I have terrible ringing in my ears so I cannot stand a totally quiet house.  TV on all day and even at night.  I have been quilting for 15 years and I wonder if the ringing is not a result of the high pitch of the machine.  Either way, I would not have changed a thing except maybe wear hearing protection in the beginning.  Thank goodness I can tune out the ringing most of the time.

Music is a must.  Even when I used to computer program, I listened to music (thru headjacks of course).  It helps me concentrate on what I'm doing.  Sometimes it reminds me to move my body, too, :) as I forget to take breaks when I should.  If there's incliment weather, the little TV is on, especially during tornado season.

BRUUUCE !! My daughter gave me a new iPod with copies of the bootlegs of every Springsteen concert I ever went to (and a couple I wish I had). A concert is just about the perfect time for a quilting session for me. Also like other classic rock for quilting. Definitely helps me keep loose and more relaxed while I stitch.

I go back and for from music to old movies on the tv, but I always have some background sound when I am sewing. It could be the ringing ( more like that noise you hear when you put you ear to a shell?) like Shirley said, but it keeps me centered.

I don't listen to my machine much, I didn't know you could hear the bobbin getting low!! Maybe I should be a better listener!

Archived