Help! Are vertical channel locks a big deal?

Help!  I'm getting ready to finalize my order today, and someone put the bug in my ear that I should consider the Millenium with V and H channel locks, as opposed to the Freedom (which I was planning on ordering), which has only the horizontal channel locks.  Can I please get some input? opinions? advice? Is it worth the extra $600?  HELP!!

the other feature that the Millennium gives you compared to the Freedom for the $600 price, is the lower thread cutter.  I guess I see it this way, the cost is a drop in the bucket now compared to wishing you had them later! 

i rarely use my thread cutter or vertical locks...but i wanted to have all the features when i purchased my Green Millennium. I then purchased the Liberty secondhand, and it doesn't have either feature and I am okay without them.

Personal choice. I do use my channel locks but not the thread cutter. If it is in you budget do it and if its not there are clips and clamps you can use to do it it just takes more time. I know not much help. I don't use them a lot but I do use them.

Shirley

I have used a Freedom since 2007.  I make a lot of whole cloth quilts and coverlets and when I need the channel locks, I just use clamps.  The price difference as well as the lighter weight of the Freedom over the Millennium are a consideration for me.  If money is no object, or weight does not figure into the equation...go for it.

I use the channel locks on every quilt. For stitching they are invaluable for piano keys and close parallel lines. For keeping the quilt square and controlling fullness in blocks, I use the locks to run along the seams and pin into square.

I use the thread cutter as well but it's not essential.

I'm probably late for a response, but I'll give mine anyway. I have owned a millie, now a I have a Freedom. I don't miss my channel locks, never used the thread cutter and I prefer the weight of the Freedom. I also feel the Freedom moves more easliy for me. Good luck with your decision.

Here's a tip that APQS put up on Facebook this morning:

Care and feeding tip: Positioning a new pantograph on your APQS longarm quilting machine is easy with your channel lock. Place your pantograph on the table, move the laser to the bottom edge of the pantograph, turn on the channel lock and move the machine down the table – adjusting the paper pattern as you go. You know your APQS table is square and true, so by using your channel lock you can ensure you've laid the paper pattern out straight on your frame. Once you have the pantograph positioned, you are ready to start stitching!

I have a Millie and do use the thread cutter all the time. One of my reasons for buying a Millie, is the resale down the road if need be for upgrades or whatever. 

I just got my millie a few months ago, and I love my channel locks.  I use them to straighten up a quilt if the seams are a bit wobbly,  to square it up, etc.   I wish there was the option to have the locks without the thread cutter, but I'm glad I went for the full package.

I thought that channel locks were something I didn't care one way or the other about. I am surprised at how useful I have found them to be. I think they are one of those things that if you have never had them you won't miss them but once you start to use them you find them to have many uses.

Archived