How Hard Is It To Remove Thread Cutter?

Awesome, thank you so much!!!  My machine looks so intimidating, I don't want to break it!!!

Do you think removing it makes a significant difference in movement?  

I tried out a couple of machines at a recent Sewing Expo and I noticed none of them had the thread cutter on it so I wonder how much it inhibits my movement.  I noticed all of those machines had more advanced track systems so until I can afford Bliss I'll just have to deal, but any little thing I can do to get better movement I'm willing to do!

What kind of movement problem are you having?

I think most movement issues are caused by tables that are not level and worn out wheels.

I dont think removing the thread cutter will make your machine move better.

I think by lightening the load, the only thing it helps with is fatigue.

I'm interested to know if a lighter machine helps control movement.

Meg,

Not really is it so much a problem but I've noticed little things have made a big difference in the ease of moving the machine.  I have an Ultimate 1 from 1999 on an old aluminum frame.  I LOVE it, with a few adjustments after coming home it's been great.  I tightened up the ergonomic handles when it came home, removed the plexi table from the frame and loosened up the edgerider wheels.  The wheels look older and I even had one fly off at one point, so I'm kind of thinking it might be worth the investment to purchase some new wheels.  My table appears to be level from left to right, I did go over it with a hand held level.  I discovered that there is a slope in the floor I never noticed before from back to the front of the machine, just enough that when I take my hands off the machine head it rolls forward.  Maybe leveling that out too would help.

I don't have a terrible issue with movement...but the weight does bother my shoulders after several hours of non-stop quilting.  Especially tight dense small quilting.  I also have a 26" throated machine.  I think if I ever upgrade I might consider going smaller.  I tested a few small machines at an expo recently and of course, bearing in mind they all have the latest and greatest features and track systems, I did find that I had better control for detail work with a smaller machine.  I might consider something 22" if I ever upgrade.  Anyhow I just thought maybe taking the thread cutter off, since I never use it, might help!

I'm betting your problem is those old wheels.

Of course, lighter is better for fatigue.

But I'd bet new wheels would make a world of difference.

I added M&M wheels and once I put on the new ones, (because i got the defective ones originally), I don't even think I'll need Bliss.

Honest, the wheels are worth it.

I did remove my thread cutter. Like the others have said, it does help with arm fatigue, but I wouldn't say it helps with control. I will be upgrading to Bliss soon. I'm anxious, but a little nervous too. I haven't had the opportunity to test drive it, so I'm going in blind.

Peggy

From and OLD post of mine, responding to meg, here's how to do it:

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:06 AM

Meg, it's easy peasey to do! See the 4 holes on the left side of the thread cutter? (They may have those plastic cover ups on them..if so, pop em off!) Get a long neck'd screw driver, and you can get to 3 of them easy. The one screw, will be kinda behind the thread cutter itself, so, from the front of the machine, just unloosen the nut/bolt on the thread cutter, then you can get to that screw. Once that's off, you just unplug the cutter (black wire) then tape that black wire to the base of your millie. Let me search for a pic for you. THAT's IT! Like 2 minutes, and your DONE!

• 1 year later...

From and OLD post of mine, responding to meg, here's how to do it:

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:06 AM

Meg, it's easy peasey to do! See the 4 holes on the left side of the thread cutter? (They may have those plastic cover ups on them..if so, pop em off!) Get a long neck'd screw driver, and you can get to 3 of them easy. The one screw, will be kinda behind the thread cutter itself, so, from the front of the machine, just unloosen the nut/bolt on the thread cutter, then you can get to that screw. Once that's off, you just unplug the cutter (black wire) then tape that black wire to the base of your millie. Let me search for a pic for you. THAT's IT! Like 2 minutes, and your DONE!

Sheri, I know this is an old post but can you share pics / instructions on removing the thread cutter from a Millie please?

Archived