Looking for topic that discusses "runs" in fabric from needle

I'm not sure the title explained this correctly but a while back I saw a topic that discussed how a needle either pierces thru or between the fabric threads, one of which causes little white "runs" in the fabric which are especially noticeable on dark fabrics. 

Does anyone remember this?   I think Dawn gave a good explanation but can't find it to save my life!

Thanks in advance!

I don't know where the topic is, but the explanation is simple.  The print is on the surface of the fabric.  The back side of the fabric is considerably lighter than the front.  When the needle penetrates the fabric, individual threads in the weave are displaced.  If the needle pierces the thread, it will pull it out of place, so you will see a line of lighter dots on the surface of the fabric where that thread has been pulled out of place exposing the un-printed sections that were underneath.  It doesn't have to be pulled much in order to show the lighter, un-prited sections of thread on the surface of the fabric.  If the needle barely catches the thread, it may "roll" the thread, displacing the printed surface and turning it to the side, so you see the lighter, unprinted surface of the thread. 

Thank you Lynn!  That is a perfect description.  Now I remember the thread being "rolled".

What can be done to prevent this?  I tried a new needle and even went down a size.  The area I quilted doesn't look terribly bad and I could rub it out a bit, but I'm wondering what to do to next time so I don't have this problem.

I don't know of anything you can do to prevent this totally.  I have had the issue on my domestic machine when piecing also. And, the needles on my domestic machine are certainly smaller than the ones for the longarm.   

I think thread also plays a part.  Cotton thread has little fibers on it that "grabs" the fibers on the fabric.  I have far fewer problems with a poly thread, and fewer problems with a finer thread than an heavier one. 

Basically, its just the way it is with some fabrics.  The higher the contrast between the back side of the fabric and the front side, the more likely it is to be noticeable.  It probably happens with all fabrics, its just that the lighter ones don't show the little "runs."

Some have mentioned spritzing your fabric with water and/or a water/fabric softener 4:1 solution to soften the fabric a bit to try to help the fibers move a bit more rather than roll or shred.  I've seen several quilters mention they use permanent markers to blend the 'rolled' or 'cut' fibers in with the rest when it does happen.

I usually change the needle as soon as I see this happen.  Even if I think it is pretty new a burr on the needle or a blunt needle can cause this.  I don't think needle size is as important as sharpness of the needle. AND I have had 3 needles in a row from the same pack do this straight from the pack.  Annoying but sometimes those needles are not perfect!  

Recently I posted and received many very helpful comments about this very topic, the thread is titled "Backing Problem?"

If I was good with forums I could post a link, sorry I don't know how.

I was using a light red Moda Wide Back and I ripped out what I had done and started over. Unfortunately, the fabric on the front, a black with white dots, from Maywood Studios, is doing the same thing with the pulled threads, but at least it doesbt look shredded. I have tried changing to a new needle, so far that hasn't helped. I am worried about going to a smaller than 4.0 because I have already had problems with needle breakage due to bulky seams.

I am just hoping that this comes out in the wash!! Good thing this quilt is going on a bed!

there are two ways to load thread.. it usually works.  if you use a spool thats been wound flat.. have it come off the spool from the right side, like a bobbin..    If the thread is put on the cone in a way that shows it spooling off, going up and down, not even, so the spool is hard to see how much is used.  does that make sense?   Oh, it is the reverse of how it went on the cone or spool, that makes the diff.

On a dsm  or la it is best to stand a regular spool up, and a cone type of thread laying down.  That helps keep the thread feed straight.

I was told by the Homesteader and Side Saddle makers to spray the thread with water.  I was surprised how much that helped. 

Or, as Heidi M has said, she soaks her cone in mineral oil..  just got some, haven't tried it yet.  I always use distilled water.

Something else use is SewersAid.  I put about 5 good lines of it down the thread, and it will last quite a fair while.while.

The other thing I do when having static, due to low humidity, is use spray silicone On the surface of the quilt,  at the same time I use

Sewers Aid on the thread.  Even cotton with a polly core will give me snap, or fly with my hand when I move it.  The spray and the little bottles help so much help so much with their products. 

Rita

RitaQuilts4All   at blogspot somewhere.  lol

Thank you all for your great comments and suggestions.  I did find the original post and have added to my favs (thanks Cathy!).

The good thing is this customer's quilt has only one small block that has this "problem fabric".  It looks like there are many different reasons this problem may occur, but at least I have many good ideas to try to alleviate the problem next time.

Thanks again everyone -- I knew I'd get great advice here!

I think the best way to avoid this is to examine the fabric before you buy it.  If the back side is significantly lighter colored than the front, don't buy the fabric.  If you choose to buy it, accept the fact that you're going to get the little "runs".  Unfortunately you can't buy the fabric your customers are going to use.  You just have to explain this to them.

I too, have noticed that Moda is a frequent culprut in this arena.  I try to stay away from Moda fabrics for this reason, but sometimes you just have to have a particular fabric.  Then I just live with the "runs".  Jim

Archived