Ok, I have just about had it, want to throw this quilt and machine into the garbage.  I have tried everything suggested and still have problems.  I can hear the bottom thread snap, going along, gonna stop to move myself and you can hear the thread snap.  Checked and the tension seems fine, the  thread seems to come out of the hole in the bobbin case also.   Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Ginny

Any chance it's the bobbin case?  If it's been dropped it could be ever so slightly bent and that can cause trouble.  I'm sure you have cleaned out the bobbin area really well, but you might look with a flashlight and see if there could be any bits of stray thread tucked up in there causing grief?

Sending hugs cause I know how frustrating it is when there's a problem and it can't be fixed.  Tension woes brougt me to tears (literally) once! [[[hugs]]]

I'm thinking you need to direct your attention to the bobbin, the case, or the bobbin area of your machine for the fix.

When you pull your bobbin thread to the top, if you pull on your bobbin thread does it pull nice and evenly and freely? Pull a couple of feet and make sure it feels okay.

You may be getting backlash spinning in your bobbin. Do you have a TOWA? To me, they are worth their weight in gold. If you do, see if your bobbin is spooling off evenly on the gauge. If not, check the bobbin manually in the palm of your hand. Is it spinning off evenly and does the bobbin seem round in the case as it spins? Is the bobbin too full? I can get backlash spinning if I have overfilled the bobbin. Also, try changing bobbins. If you have another bobbin case, try changing bobbin cases, too.

Sometimes just the tiniest fuzz in the bobbin case or bobbin area of the machine can cause problems. Do you have canned air or an air compressor? If you do, use it to blow out the bobbin area of your machine. Partially unthread the top of your machine so that you can cycle the needle up and down without worrying about the thread getting caught in the fly wheel. Blow the compressed air in the bobbin area and cycle the machine with either your single stitch or a slow speed on unregulated mode. Watch the bobbin area as you blow it and see if you notice anything caught in there, or if  you notice anything lodge free. I like to oil mine when I'm done and then I blow the compressed air again and cycle the machine some more. Also, clean your bobbin case really well. I use the air compressor here as well.

These are just some things I would start with and see how that goes. Sorry you have having problems  :(

Give your hook assembly a WD40 bath. Make sure their is nothing in the assembly. Oil hook. Try a new bobbin case if you have one. Make sure your bobbin is firm and not smooshy. If you don't have a new bobbin case thoroughly clean bobbin case. Make sure you put the bobbinin the case the right direction. Loosen bobbin tension. Jamie Wallenstein has a great video. I don't remember the link. I am thinking you may need a new bobbin case. If you drop it is can cause huge problems. I’ve done it. A small bounce is a big problem. I keep numerous spares. Try a new bobbin also. Sometimes it is the bobbin itself.

Put in a new needle. Rethread upper thread totally. Loosen top tension. Run a test on practice piece. Stitches should look awful. Gradually increase top tension until you get good stitches.

Hope this helps.

Shirley.

All good suggestions.  Sorry you are so frustrated, that would surely drive me mad!  My guess it is either the bobbin case or bad bobbin or even the hook assembly.  If you hear a snapping it is the bobbin thread either catching on the bobbin case or catching on the hook.  Go up a size in needle if you can and rule out needle flex.  Try a new bobbin case and see if you have the same problem.  If you have the same problem then more than likely it is the hook assembly and maybe you need to retime.  

Thanks for the hugs, even the dogs have left the room, last resort I wound the bobbin on my DM and I am holding my breath right now, seems to be working.  I have tried all the suggestions, think my bobbin winder has a problem.  I usually use prewound, as right from the beginning I have had problems with me winding the bobbins.  Guess I need a lesson on the bobbin winder. :)

Thanks

Ginny

Does it break when you change directions. If so you might need to slow down just a bit to change directions. Does it happen going just one direction, but not the other? If so you might need to make sure the bobbin is in the case correctly, check the bobbin tension and the top tension, and/or turn your needle slightly (about 2 degrees).  These are problems I've had before. 

If you don't have the. Problem with prewounds then it is how it winds. My machine came with aluminum bobbins with a slit and they worked great. I bought some more bobbins and they were metal with holes. I fought with it until a light bulb turned on. You might see if dawn or someone has directions on tweeking your bobbin winder. I don't wind bobbins very often as I get such good results with prewounds.

Shirley

I just posted on here with the same problem - got lots of good advice, tried it all and also remembered that I was told that if you have the bobbin loaded in the case  while keeping one hand under it so it doesn't hit the floor, if you just grab the thread. It (the case) should slowly creep down. If it just hangs there the tension is too tight. I just spent 9 hours unquilting a customers quilt because the thread kept breaking and I didn't realize it until I started rolling. 

ugh.

Hi Ginny.  I'm sorry you are having trouble.  I just took a maintenance class with Dan Novak at MQX and have some info from him that can help determine what kind of break you have.  This is paraphrased from his handouts.

If the top thread looks like it was pulled apart, it is a stress break.  you might have more tension than a particular thread can handle.  try loosening the tension.  it can also be cause by the thread getting caught somewhere on the machine.  check your spool and see if it's coming off smoothly and not getting caught on something along the way.

If the thread is clean cut, like it was cut with a pair of scissors, a bur in the needle are is most often the cause.  try changing the needle or remove bur with fine sandpaper.  If you've changed the needle and it's a new pack, try a needle out of a completely different pack.  it could just be a bad batch.

If the thread is bunched up and you see a few fibers handing straight, it's most likely a hook break.  the hook point could be too far away from the needle causing the point to catch outer layers of the thread instead of picking it up.  There could be a bur on the hook point.  a bur is caused by needle deflection.  loose or worn needle bar bushing will allow the needle to bounce against the hook point.  moving the machine too fast can also cause it, and too tight top tension can cause it as well.

I hope this helps you.  The class I took was fabulous. Melissa

One last thing to check is the hook retaining finger. If you are using a thicker thread than you normally use, it can catch and snap. The hook retaining finger is that piece under and to the front of the bobbin area. A screw allows you to loosen and slide the finger in and out. It should only be far enough in the slot to stop the basket from rotating. If it's in too far the thread may be squeezed and snap. When you adjust it make sure you're careful not to let the basket spin or you'll be fussing with it for a while. I hope something helps and you are happily quilting soon!

I have a Milli with the bobbin winder that comes with it.  After winding the bobbins on my dm, then near the end the tension on the top thread started coming loose.  Not my day.  I had already frogged this quilt after 2 rows and then noticing the bobbin was "nesting" Think this quilt is my nightmare!!!

Ginny

Archived