I'm back : )

After a very long absence due to health problems and then recovery, I am back into the real world and ready to quilt.  It has been a while.  I actually got to go to Paducah quilt show yesterday and had a wonderful time. Bob Ketchum was so sweet to let me and my grand-daughter Nevaeh play with all the new machines. I fell in love with the Lenni and the Freddie.  I would have signed the contract right then and there, but when I called my husband he said we can't afford the payments.  BOO HOO!  So, I'll go back to my old Ultimate II and try to get some quilts to do and save every penny so I can buy a new machine.  (Unless I win the lottery or find a generous lender before then). 

It's so good to be back among all my quilty friends.

Here are some issues I need some help with... I want to get my quilt business back up and running, but lost almost all of my customers to the new computerized quilter lady in the next town. She's doing any size quilt for a penny a square inch.  Her quilting looks amazing I must add.  That computerized system is just awesome. Everything is perfect and symmetrical.  Another problem is somebody stole my Chicken Scratch Quilting business name.  I didn't renew my domain registration last year and somebody else got it.  When I tried to renew my website they said it was taken. I clicked on the link and it is somebody else doing quilting.

So, for all you successful business people out there.  What do you suggest I try to do at this point?  Start a new business with a new name?  Forget the business part and just quilt?  Try to find a way to get the SR machine so I can get some more customers?  All advice and comments are welcome and appreciated.  Be honest and real.  I am not ready to give up on life or quilting yet.

Oh, and I did enter a quilt into the AQS Grand Rapids show.  I'm praying it will be accepted. 

Hello to all the Lindas, and Bonnie, and Myrna, and Holly, and Heidi, and Shana, and  Kim, and everybody else. 

Do you enjoy custom quilting? That sounds like something the computer gal isn't offering. Change your name and start a new. Send your previous clients a card stating you are back and offer a special but due to circumstances beyond you control you have to change business and website names. If the computer lady is offering a cent per square inch for pantos offer custom quilting as your specialty.

Shirley

I am new....don't have a business...and am planning on quilting mostly my own stuff....but....when I didn't have a longarm.....I did have some quilts done and none of them were done on a computerized machine....A couple were just meandered on and it was fine for the quilt....and a couple were custom...but not heirloom custom....I think there is still a market out there for the non-computerized quilting....but you just have find the niche...I would think...there is room for both types of quilters out there....if fact...some of the quilters I know will not have a computer do their quilting...they want hand guided even if it is just meander so it doesn't look perfect ...like it was done by a computer.....does your competitor only do computerized quilting?  How long is the wait time to get one done?....those would factor into my decision...but I think I would be inclined to go ahead and test the waters without making a huge investment at this point per what you husband says...if you find you have clients...then make a decision if it is worth taking the risk and upgrading your machine.....but I would think there would be customers out there for what you already can do with what you have....  Oh...it it looks like you are stuck with a new name....if you decide to go for it....Lin

Thanks Shirley. I do love custom quilting. The computer lady is doing what she calls custom quilting because she uses the computer based images to fill the spaces.  The ones I've seen of hers don't look like pantos which are all over designs. These are more like replicated designs in certain shaped areas. Does that make sense.  I'm not sure how she's doing it so cheaply.  I'm tempted to go into the shop and ask how she can afford to do it so cheaply. It's worth more than that for me to load one and get tension right.

Thanks Lin. I'm not sure if she does non computerized or not. I've only seen what one of my former customers has shown me.  I will also never have a computer guided machine. I find the act of quilting relaxing, so I wouldn't enjoy sitting on my butt while the computer did the work.  I would LOVE to have a stitch regulator though.  My stitches are pretty close to consistent, but they aren't perfect.

I'm wondering about the lady who does "custom" computerized for 1 cent/inch.  

There are a number of quilters on this forum who do computerized quilting similar to what you describe, and I'm betting that not a one does that work for a penny an inch.  Those systems still require you to figure out what designs you want to use, program the computer to place the designs where you want them, and you still have to load the quilt, make sure you have good tension, check everything at the end of each pass, etc. etc.

So my question is, how long is this person going to keep undervaluing her time?  I'll bet not too long.

If you want to get back into the business, contact your former customers, explain about the necessary name change, offer a discount on the first quilt as a "welcome back" gift, and emphasize that your work will truly be "one of a kind".

Good luck!

Hi Teresa!! It's so good to see you again!

Ditto all the above advice. You can compete with the computerized quilter by offering what she can't--the human touch. I agree that she won't be able to keep up the penny-per-inch offering. Her hourly rate must be below minimum wage! So offer custom and semi-custom. Change your name to "Chicken Run Quilting" or "Chickens in the Garden Quilting" or "Crazy Chicken Quilting". Notify your old customers and see how it goes. Big hugs from me!

Welcome back.  What about contacting your former customers and telling them you're having a welcome back meandering special.  $60 for a quilt with large meandering. Good for just a month.  It might get some customers back and you could have samples of your quilting ready for them to see.

OMG! so good to see you again Teresa, you have  been missed  and I pray your health is doing well now,  and healing is

complete. 

You could resort to self preservation and open a new Web Site with  Chicken Scratch Quilter the 1st.  That might be mean too.

You might also  just get a new web site and name it Chicken Scratch Patch Quilting, No Bugs In The Chicken Scratch Quilting.  LOLOL  jk

Some thing  like that.  Contact your old memebers and tell them you are now back in business and are looking forward

to seeing them, soon, and would they pass the info on to other quilters you know. 

I hope it works out the best for you.

Libby's special sounds terrific, too.

Rita

Rita Quilts 4 All 

my blog

http://ritaqlts.blogspot.com/

Thanks all. It is great to be back among friends.  I've taken all your words to heart and I'm proud to announce that  Sweet T's Custom Longarm Quilting has been born.  It's a southern thing, for y'all that don't know.  I'm currently working on a website.  

New email will be sweet_t_quilting@yahoo.com

I decided to go completely away from Chicken Scratch and start brand new. This is going to be a brand new successful venture.  I can feel it in my bones.  You are the inspiration I need to keep going. I will check in often. I have to work until June 14th, but after that I will be a frequent visitor.

Yay. I've purchased a website and domain. Just need to get it uploaded and edited.

I've also created a FACEBOOK page for Sweet T's Custom Quilting.  Be sure to like.  I also did a Facebook ad for $10 off any quilting or three thread changes for no extra charge, until end of May.  I'll run a Summer's coming special in June and a Beach themed special in July.

I'm also going to search out any guild groups that are close by and have Facebook pages. Then I'll friend them so they know I exist.  I also plan to make a bunch of scrap quilts for St. Jude and do a massive donation (with a phone call or email to Memphis newspaper, of course). 

Help me out folks. Tell your friends if you know they need a quilter in west Tennessee, west Kentucky, eastern Missouri, or eastern Arkansas.

Thanks Lyn, Sue, Kristina, and Cheryl. 

Laura, I'm not sure what's going on with Facebook. They said it was pending yesterday, but they haven't allowed it yet for some reason. I can log on there myself, but the public can't see it.  I've never used a Facebook business page, so I'm not sure how it works. Maybe somebody else who has a Facebook business page can help me out. I've sent questions to Facebook, but they don't reply to questions, evidently.

Archived