Stitch Regulator for Ultimate I

JoyceW

I have a '98 Ultimate I that I really love.  However, I would love a stitch regulator.  Is there only one after market model and if so, does anyone know how well it works compared to the APQS stitch regulator that comes with the newer models?

Hi Joyce

I have the Intellistitch on my Ultimate 1 and it works excellent.  It has a couple of features not available with the APQS stitch regulator.  The first is the single stitch happens in the blink of an eye not the slow down and up that you are used to.  The second is the basting mode where you move the machine either half or a full inch(depending on which setting  you select) and the machine takes a rapid stitch and then stays out of the fabric until you move another half or full inch.  I think the machine is easier to control at slow speed than the APQS setup but at rapid speed there is little difference.  I do miss the chirp that the APQS machines make when in regulated mode but I'm getting used to that.

Let us know where you are and maybe someone is close and you can get a demo.

Nigel

I have the I/S on mine, also.  Had a recent reason to contact the company about mine, and their customer service was outstanding.  They sent the part I needed asap, and we did the repair ourselves very easily and quickly.  I don't know of any other company that has a stitch regulator for our older machines, but you really can't beat the I/S - especially since APQS doesn't retrofit our older machines.

Thank you to all of you.  I am still thinking about this.  Now my question is, would it be more reasonable to add the IS to my Ultimate I, for $3500, including installation, or sell mine and get an older Millie for about  what I could get for mine plus the cost of the IS if I can find one close by, big if.  We live in NW Wisconsin, about 50 miles South of the tip of the finger of Lake Superior and Duluth/Superior.

This is my first foray into the forums and I really appreciate the helpfulness of you seasoned folks. 

Blessings, Joyce 

Joyce, that is exactly the question I was asking myself three weeks ago.  Now I'm the proud owner of a stitch regulated Lenni which I got at an excellent price. My Ultimate II is for sale, as much as I love it.  It did not make sense to me to put a $3000 stitch regulator on a machine almost 20 years old.

I didn't see any problem with spending the $$ adding the I/S to my 23-24 year old Ulti I. Twenty plus years isn't old for an all metal industrial quality machine. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. For me it was the right choice, and I hope others don't shy away from an older machine or adding after market stitch regulation.

Marci

I'm with you,  I just added the Intellistitch  in March and it works excellent.  We've talked about it and if we decided to slow down and keep only one machine it would be the Ultimate 1.

Teresa 

I just found the previous owners notes,  two years ago she was offered $2500 trade in on a Freedom SR and the savings on the table was $5000.  Still left the price to upgrade at more than $9000.  I think the U1 may get a better trade in because of the size and it has a hopping foot.  I don't know why your machine hasn't sold yet, it's a steal.

Nigel

Marci, I didn't mean to imply that the 20 year old machines are great and I probably would have added a SR to mine if I didn't find the great deal I did on the new machine.  But $3000 for an IS to add to an old machine or $5500 for an almost new machine.  I couldn't pass up the deal. 

Teresa, it does sound like you made a great deal on your newer Lenni, and that is wonderful. I hope someone wanting to start out considers your older machine because I'm sure its been taken care of and ready to go. APQS' s oldest machines are still not very old (in the whole sewing world scheme of things) and are worth the investment of adding stitch regulation to if one so decides to. It is a personal decision, and I'm glad you love your Lenni. It's as it should be then. :)

You know I was really nervous buying an older machine - but as you said it's an industrial machine meant to last for years - just think of featherweights and other 60 year old sewing machines that were made years and years ago for the home sewer.  Many of those machines still run today, I have two that I use regularly.  Technology has improved immensely since then so I have no doubt that with upkeep my 14 year old Ulti will be running for a very very long time!  ;)

I didn't see any problem with spending the $$ adding the I/S to my 23-24 year old Ulti I. Twenty plus years isn't old for an all metal industrial quality machine. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. For me it was the right choice, and I hope others don't shy away from an older machine or adding after market stitch regulation.

I forgot to mention, Joyce, that I am in NE Iowa, 80 miles SW of LaCrosse. Not close enough but you are welcome to come use my Ulti I with I/S if you ever are. Good luck in your decision. Oh, also, if you wait to have it installed when they have another install in the area they dont charge you the extra travel or incidental fees. I waited an extra couple months and paid around $3000 for the I/S Turbo CL installed but not over. If you are willing to have some flexibility on install it helps them out and the customer, too.

• 5 months later...

Marcy,

Where are you located? Is there a phone number I could contact you at?  If so you could email it to me at loriegaffney@yahpp.com.  I'm sure I won't have time until after Christmas, but I do appreciate the chance to see how the IS works live.

Lorie

Archived