What you've learned

Julie posted recently about something she learned since becoming a quilter. She decided that she could tweak the tension on her DSM without the world crumbling--in spite of the perpetual warnings from every DSM manufacturer.

What sticks out in your mind when you realize the store of knowledge you've acquired as a quilter?

I'll start. ;)

Quilting makes the quilt. Simplistic but so true. We take a two-dimensional object and give it dimension and life. And we make people happy doing it.

People are crazy. Mostly in good ways. Like their passion for fabric, color, and design. And their appreciation for what we do.   And some people are just crazy, period. But not many of them!  :P

Passion and practice are good friends. Together they allow you to excel.

Share, please.

Linda, I agree, passion and practice goes hand in hand, sowing and reaping as the old book say. To be able to make dreams & ideas into reality is awesome, 

For me, quilting is a rewarding hobby that turned into business.  

To meet awesome people of the same passion and appreciation for the art and making good friends along the way is a gift.   Every quilt is unique, ever learning and adding to the storage of knowledge in our minds.  They say we bring their quiltop into life, we do magic. 

I remember my mind set prior to and after I made my first quilt. Prior to; I thought that it couldn’t be that difficult………looks easy enough, women have been doing it for years. I was being a typical male, feeling pretty cocky after making a pair of curtains (sewing a rod pocket in some fabric); this was the only sewing I had done to date.  Well…My eyes sure did open fast! With a lot of trial and error, not to mention numerous four letter words, I manage to make my first quilt. I have learned so much since then!!! The thing that stands out for me is no matter what anyone says “There are no rules when it comes to quilting”!!! 

If anything, I've learned that I must persevere if I am going to be successful.  (I may ask somebody to remind me of this in 3 or 4 months). I've also learned that an extra half hour spent doing good piecing makes the quilting easier tp quilt and the end product is much nicer looking.

I've also figured out that I have a very artistic mind, and some people simply won't agree with my choice of designs, thread colors, fabric choices, etc.  I tend to go toward very bold and loud, with lots of contrast.  The people I have quilted for want very simple, very traditional things.  That's okay. I appreciate their sense of tradition. I know I can give them what they want  and save the really creative stuff for me, and it's all okay. 

When I first got my longarm I was almost paralyzed with "What if my quilting doesn't turn out how I want it to or doesn't look good" - and I only quilt for myself! Once I finally realized that "Hey, if I don't like it I can rip it out" I relaxed and quit fearing failure. I've also given myself permission NOT to have it perfect; if I accidentally sew a couple stitches where they don't belong it's not going to ruin the whole quilt. In fact, you'll have a hard time finding it later! And Linda R. is right when she says Quilting makes the Quilt!

What I've learned . . . . . .hmmm.

Always measure your backing and backing, add a leader to the backing when in doubt.

There is more 'marking' to custom quilting than I thought.

Every quilt top is beautiful.

Share your knowledge and experience with new quilters. Someone once helped you. Be generous with praise. Remember how you felt when you were new.

Take classes when you can. Push yourself.

Karen's words: "Do the hardest thing."

Claudia's words: "PPP" Practice, Practice, Practice.

Joanne Flamand

Artistic Quilt Design

My husband used to call me impatient. Now he knows me better and cannot believe the extent and depth of my patience!

Quilting has taught me to be brave, brave enough to follow my dreams, brave enough to make mistakes, and brave enough to let go of a somewhat paralyzing perfectionism.

I have learned that I can do almost whatever I think I can do. I most certainly won't do something I think I can't do.

Quilting has been my favorite hobby for over 30 years.

I have learned that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"...so true when I didn't care for the quilt top that someone else constructed. Just because I didn't care for it that didn't mean it wasn't beautiful to the owner. Thank goodness for that, because all the quilts would look the same if we all had the same tastes. :o

I have learned that quilting brings friends into your life that you never would have otherwise met.  Quilting brings smiles to people's faces even in the face of adversity.  Quilting brings you to a forum where you meet great people from all over the world.  You consider these people friends although you might never see them in person or speak to them voice to voice.  Quilting is a warm and wonderful endeavor and easily shared!

Lots of good insight!  

For me two things stand out, one...I can do anything I put my mind to....my family tells me I am talented but I really think most things can be learned and if you have a passion to do it, you can!  Two...I have discovered that I have to create with my hands, it is a part of who I am...and quilting gives me opportunity to do that!  Also, the icing on the cake is that it feels good to help people finish up their quilting projects and bring them to a new level!  I get lots of hugs when people pick up their quilts!  Most quilters are warm and sharing people!

I've learned that there is beauty in imperfection.

This was a great lesson for me as it has helped me in other areas of life, too.

I've also learned that practice is essential...and fun!

You're never too old to try new things and like it!

I've learned that everyone has a niche in the quilty world.

I've figured out mine, and to embrace it.

I echo what everyone has said and will add:

I have learned that in the beginnng of the planning process, my eye sees very differently than a camera lens does...the camera has become a mandatory tool.

I have learned to be confident with my work and my pricing.  Two quilters in my area charge less and haven't raised their prices since  I started in '07.  I have a great group of loyal customers and have a steady stream of new ones...I  love what I do!

Quilts can be a great way to start a friendship. I started quilting 12 years ago when a lady, whom I didn't know at the time, presented my infant son with a quilt and teddy bear while he was hospitalized.  We became friends and I started quilting. I am hooked now.  :wub:

As a Christian, I believe in loving those less fortunate, and helping those in need. My quilting has helped me to do just that. I donate a lot of quilts to hospitalized kids, and also to use for raffles to raise monies for organizations. 

My quilting style is fairly simple. Borders on traditional/modern. I believe a quilt should be used and not hung on the wall. I keep nearly half a dozen quilts in my van at all times since you never know what Nevada weather will be like, and never know if you will stumble upon an accident and may need them. 

I may have gotten off topic...but all in all...quilts should be loved, used and can provide so much more than warmth. They can be a quilted hug from across the ocean, and a comfort when we wrap ourselves in a quilt filled with wonderful memories and smells of perfume or cologne. 

Yes Gail, a quilt is so much more than just a blanket!  ;)

Calling a quilt a "blanket" ruffles my feathers unless it is a small child's 'blankie'. 

Quilting is an art!!  My mother is an artist...she is a painter (watercolors, acryics, pastels and oils)  Several years ago she went to a weekend painting retreat and the leader asked each attendee to state their name, where they were from, and if there were any other artists in the family.  She said she responded with "no, not really.  My grandkids have all painted one or two paintings for 4-H projects but my kids don't do anything."  When they were back in their rooms, she was getting to know the gal she was paired up with and they began showing each other pictures of their families.  Mom showed a picture of me with the quilt I made them for their new bed in their new house.  The other gal said "I thought you said you didn't have any artists in your family..."  Mom came home and apologized to me and now thinks of my quilting in a whole new light.  She has always said that she can't understand how I can put fabric patterns and colors together to make a beautiful quilt...well I can't figure out how she gets the paints on the canvas to look like something!!  I have even called her over on occasion to help me when a client wants some thread painting done on a quilt as part of the quilting!

Wow, great thoughts, everyone!

I would add trust your gut! If you don't think it's going to look good, it probably isn't. And I HATE ripping. ;) 

Don't be too critical of your work. Don't point out mistakes when people admire your work. Take praise and compliments gracefully.

What have I learned?   Oh!! So many things.

Two I think are the most imortant and often forgotten when I'm under pressure ill, etc., Are:

1.  To always do my best, best for whatever is going on when I'm sewing and quilting.  So for the time I am sewing, quilting,

and making, I do the best I can, sometimes better, sometimes worse and sometimes even quite pretty.  The best I can.

2.  Always sew love into the quilt..   I have kept so few quilts over the years, that it's not hard to sew with love...

So many more things.. this will do for now.

Thanks for all your insights, feelings, choices, etc... gives more to think about..

Rita

I've learned that YES I CAN DO IT !

I love a challenge and always eager to try something new.

I've learned quilters are where you least expect them.   I was at my WW meeting this morning and a new gal joined.........in conversation I discovered she is a quilter WITH a longarm, so I invited her to join our little group.  She seemed very eager and I hope she will become a good friend.   She happens to alsobe friends with  a lady who used to belong to our group, but had to stop coming due to eyesight problems and driving.   So, this new gal might bring Phyllis with her now !   Yayyyy.  They live 25 miles away.

Since I bought my longarm, I've learned that my drawing sucks! But that's OK, there are lots of other talented people out there who create beautiful quilting designs, so I don't have to. I'm also slowly learning that not everything has to be perfect. Other people don't see what I consider to be flaws, they just see a beautiful quilt. If I don't point out my mistakes (in my eyes), they never see them, or think it's supposed to look like that. ;)

I've also learnt (but sometimes still need to remind myself) never second guess your work.

It's obvious when there's room for improvement, but if family or friends tell you your quilting is amazing, or that you've done your very best piece of work to date on the latest quilt, be gracious, say thank you and file that accolade in the grey mater. Always remember, no matter how mediocre your quilting may look on a given day, there is always someone that loves what you have done. Those people are the ones that fuel our passion to keep quilting, which in turn produces the bonus side effect of an improved skill base.

Archived