What you've learned

Three things I've learned tonight.

1. Don't ever get rid of old parts from an APQS machine. You never know when you will need them for something.

2. Lennie will roll right off the back of the table.

3. You can't just start stitching with Lenni and expect it to turn out like it did with Ultimate II. There is a learning curve involved.

But I love every minute of it :D

I've learned that this forum has been an essential tool to get to where I am right now in my quilting.

I've learned that there are no quilt police.

I've learned that I'm my own hardest critic.

I've learned that quilters make really good friends.

I've learned that I need to double my estimate on how long it will take me to quilt a quilt.

Wow! Lots of good thoughts! Thanks for sharing......

What have I learned:

-that I love freehand quilting

-lots of designs for Judy Neimeyer quilts

- PPP Is ongoing......

-how important this forum is to me!

-how to help my customers decide on quilting for their quilt

-how to fix lots of things on my machine.....

-how to keep a quilt flat and square

-how to find something good in every quilt

I've learned that this forum has been an essential tool to get to where I am right now in my quilting.

I've learned that there are no quilt police.

I've learned that I'm my own hardest critic.

I've learned that quilters make really good friends.

I've learned that I need to double my estimate on how long it will take me to quilt a quilt.

Cindy! I feel like you were looking in my head! LOL all of these are sooooooooo  true!

I have learned that every new machine should come with a couple boxes of Kleenex and a gross of seam rippers.  I tell new quilters that they WILL get frustrated and they will "un-sew" ALOT, and it's all OK.  Expect these things to come and you won't be paralyzed with the "I can't do it" syndrome.

I also learned, after I've read it, to completely cover my morning newspaper in freehand doodles before I put it in recycling!

I hope to somehow figure out how to post pictures to the forum, I've had to use my box of Kleenex again!  Thanks for this topic! 

Linda, thank you for starting this topic.  Many thanks to folks who've already written much of what I've learned.  I would add:

1) Listen to my customers.  Everyone's sense of color is slightly (or very) different.  Color combinations that make me happy may have a different impact on someone else. Likewise for quilting.   I'm learning to ask: What makes YOU happy?

2) My quilting doesn't have to look exactly like anyone else's work.  While I certainly have plenty of room to improve and grow, my quilting will always be my individual 'quilt print'. 

3) There are often many tools or techniques to achieve a certain look.  If one doesn't work for you, keep trying until you find what does work.

4) You get out of this hobby/passion/profession what you put into it.  Just another way of saying PPP . . . . .

Lynn

Wow! So many great thoughts here!

I have learned do much here from the from and met the best friends!!!  We share thoughts and support each other like no other group I have ever been a part of! Millie and I have been together now for 5 years in and I've been  sewing for 63 years with some type of needle from stitching the cut out dress on the Sears cut out girl at age 4, to my treadle that Santa brought me at 6 and my new singer when I went to college, to my New Home after I killed my Singer twice, to a Phaff, then a Berinia and now my APQQS Millie. It's been a long journy but the info here and the quilter are the best!!! Thank quilters for sharing your knowledge, friendship and wisdom!  :wub:

Archived