Gravel...freehand E2E design

I have been staring at this quilt top for some time, and finally, a design came to mind that I am really pleased with. 

Introducing 'Gravel'...an edge-to-edge design that is quilted completely freehand. 

This larger pebble design ranges in size from 3/4" to 2" per 'rock'.

I used a double layer of Winline Bamboo batting for definition. Superior Rainbows 'Casbah' thread on top with Light Tan Magna Glide Classics in the bobbin.  

More pics on my website. Thanks for looking. http://withakquilting.blogspot.com/2013/05/gravel-on-green.html

post-3521-0-14924000-1368058648_thumb.jpg

Love it Kristina!  Much faster than quilting pebbles! :)

Now the geologist side of me wants to call that design Cobblestones as that is the next size up from pebbles. Gravels are under the same category as pebbles.   ( insert nerdy icon here)

Hi Kathy. Definitely faster than pebbles! I love the texture of this quilt.

This is an interesting discussion. (insert smiley face). I totally agree that the design looks like cobbles, but the size is indicitive of gravel. My nerdy side (oh yes, I have one!) has learned however differently than your geology background. As a materials engineer, geotechnically and in the USCS, coarse gravels are defined as #4 sieve up to 3 inch. Cobbles are 3" and larger.

I want to enlarge this design to 'cobbles' as well, but need just the right quilt top for that. (insert smiling face)

You hit the nail on the head Kristina.  Maybe I should say the needle in the quilt exactly

where it needed to be.  I love the clean fresh lines, and think I will use that design, when

I'm able to freehand again.

LOL, my problem is to not get too small... 

Thanks for the eye lookey.

Rita

Hi Kathy. Definitely faster than pebbles! I love the texture of this quilt.

This is an interesting discussion. (insert smiley face). I totally agree that the design looks like cobbles, but the size is indicitive of gravel. My nerdy side (oh yes, I have one!) has learned however differently than your geology background. As a materials engineer, geotechnically and in the USCS, coarse gravels are defined as #4 sieve up to 3 inch. Cobbles are 3" and larger.

I want to enlarge this design to 'cobbles' as well, but need just the right quilt top for that. (insert smiling face)

Yes we use a different scale as Cobbles start at 64mm.    They look larger in the photo too than 3/4" to 2" so that is what made me think of cobbles right away.  I think this would translate into a really nice larger scale design so definitely save the Cobblestone designation for the next design.   ;)

Archived