More Thread Painting

Hi Bonnie,

These are approximately 22-24 inches square.  The one with the hen and rooster is about 22 X 38.  I just grab some dark fabric fabric and draw an outline with white school board chalk that I've sharpened in a kid's pencil sharpener. (It has a skinny side for pencils and a bigger side for crayons and fits the chalk perfectly.)   I'm working on a peacock that's about 22 X 44 inches (big, long tail).  I use any thread I have that's the right color.  Sometimes I may have 40 or 50 threads sitting there on my frame.  I like Superior Rainbows, Fil-tec Glide, Metro, and anything else.  I find using the varigated works great on animals and birds as I don't have to change thread as often to blend.  Sometimes I don't want shine in areas, so I use Sew Fine as it doesn't catch the light.  I don't always follow my outlines.  Sometimes I have a better idea as I go along and sometimes I add buildings or grass, etc.  Just whatever pops into my head.  These are largely a creative outlet for me.  Just doodling when I have the inclination and a little time.

Hi Bonnie,

The one rooster is very dense, just like embroidery. As you start really filling in the color, go slow or you can break a needle.  40 wt. thread is thick enough to fill in fairly fast.  Heavier threads, I use for outlining or a bold statement.  Thinner threads work nice for a little detail and highlighting.  I just keep going 'til it looks like I want it to look.  No rules.  I use QD blend batt with Legacy wool on top.  Legacy is thinner than the QD wool.  I do use the QD wool, too, if I have a left over piece that needs used.  Mostly, I'm just using up left over stuff because they're wall hangings that aren't overly large.

Hi Diane,

I have sold some of the cartoon ones I've done.  I started making them for fun and as examples for classes I teach.  I do a bunch of different background fills, etc.  It's just easier to take smaller quilts for class examples instead of lugging big quilts.  I do lots of feathers on the cartoon ones and can use examples for several different classes.  I have never had one appraised, so I have no idea what they should sell for, although one lady wrote a $75 check for a cartoon chicken and asked if that was enough.  I was very surprised as I just think of them as doodles.  Sometimes I just make them as a gift for someone.  It's just a creative outlet for me.  I love to doodle with my machine.  I've had other people want to buy them, but I need them for classes so I didn't sell any more.  Eleanor really likes the chickens and asked if any were for sale.  I just made one and gave it to her.  She does a lot for our local Woman's Club and sells a lot of tickets for our raffle quilt, so it was the least I could do for her.

Archived