Newbie starting research on machine

Dave:  Just go to your local steel monger and buy a piece of i.5" pipe the length of your table.  You've already bought the brackets to hoild it.

Tami:  I talked with Boersma (spelling?) in McMinnville OR recently, and he says the Innovas are significantly more reliable than the Gammills.  Now I know haveing a dealer near you is important, but buying the best machine available is also.  His opinion is informed.  He was a Gammill dealer until recently, and is now an Innova dealer.  He says the ligntning stitch regulator is digital rather than analog like everything else on the market, and the machines are much more powerful.  He claims the Innova will give you a nicer stitch than any other machine.  He told me that he has kept detailed records on both the Gammills (he claimed to sell more Gammills than anyone else in the world) and The Innovas.  He's been selling Innovas long enough now to have a data base to compare with the Gammills.  With a similar number of machines, in a similar time frame, he had to service 73 Gammills and only 4 Innovas.  I'm sure that the Auto Pilot computer system is every bit as good as the Gammill Statler-probably better.  If I were buying a new machine, it would be an Innova.  I felt like I need to share this with you.  Regards.  Jim

• 9 months later...

I have some advice for anyone buying used. Whatever you do, get the S/N of the machine and verify what you are buying. I bought a used freedom last year from an ad on this site. With communication with the seller I was told that it was a 2009 machine. I paid top dollar for the age of the machine and trusted that I was getting what I paid for. Upon arriving home with my machine, I travelled 6 hours there and back to pick it up, I noticed that the shipping box was dated 2007. I contacted the seller and questioned this and was told the machine had been upgraded in 2009 and the new box had been used to ship back the traded in model. Sounded funny but I trusted the seller. I just recently decided to possibly upgrade to a newer model and checking with APQS in Canada, I was told this machine was definitely a 2007. So, I paid top dollar for a 09 and was lied to, not only once but twice by the seller that it was a 2009. I have emails to prove this deceit. I am now getting less for a trade in value,so am out money twice over. This quilter was a fast talker and definitely a used car salesman who took me in.

I have always thought that quilters were a lovely trustworthy friendly bunch. This is a let down

Anyone wanting to know who this cheat is can pm me and I will be most happy to tell you.

Nadine Morrison

Flin Flin, Mb. Canada

2007 Freddie

Nadine.morrison@gmail.com

So sorry for your experience, Nadine. Thanks though for the great advice when buying sight-unseen. Unfortunately, now I'd suggest having the seller send a photo of the serial number, not just take their word.

If there a way you can recoup the difference from the seller? In the States we have Small Claims Court where a lawyer isn't necessary and there's a cap on the most a plaintiff can be awarded. If a similar system is available in Canada, get your information ready and start a claim. Many times just the threat of a claim will entice the cheater to settle. Of course, if the dishonest seller is a member of this on-line group, I've now ruined the chance of that happening... :wacko:

• 8 months later...

My observance of other Manitoba longarm quilters: one couple worked hospital good wage, bought longarm went to tradeshows in beg. then, travelled to small country towns catering to the customer. She goes to customer..

Another quilter lives in small space,  industrial apartment bldg., longarm takes over her living room/kitchen, customers come to her.. She introduced her skill through the guild connection, been doing this for long time. Met a lot of people. She must be retiring with a good saving.

Some quilt shops rent time on their machine, that I would be very careful for the damage of machine.

Others have tried and failed.. Your either with the in crowd or not..

Wpg is a very difficult place to to business with longarm, if you succeed your very smart in marketing skill.

Archived