Emergency 911

Oh no, oh no.... I was quilting along, and hit a thick spot and the needle jammed. Bad. Can't move anything, turned off the machine. Got the bobbin out, turned back on, power went out on the machine .... Not in my house.

My George is now jammed and dead.

Am reading in the manual, but if anyone has advice, please send it my way. Thanks.

Well, anybody have advice on changing the fuse?  I found the little drawer on the back of George with the spare fuse.  And the old fuse.  The next page in the manual goes into taking off the cover to change the fuse... so is the fuse inside the cover, or in the drawer on the back?  oh boy am I nervous about opening him up... 

????

Hooray - George is again alive and kicking.  Whoever designed that little drawer with the extra fuse is a saint.    I will wait til tomorrow to put in a fresh needle and check it out. 

I am so impressed that this forum is so helpful , and that Dawn pops in to hold our hand when we have a train wreck.. thanks Dawn, and everyone on the forum!

Oh Mrs. A, you are so sweet to check on my George !!  What a great forum.  I got him all powered up last night, but was not feeling like I wanted to take the next step and see if there was any more problem, so after work today I will fire him up and give him a new needle and a pep talk and then see how it goes... I did find out, though, that it was not a thick spot that caused the problem, it was a little ruler that had snuck under the quilt -  George is powerful, but he doesn't sew through rulers!   Bet I will be more careful with my rulers after this !  Keep your fingers crossed !!  And , yes, I love Calamity's email, too!

Whoa!  A ruler? No wonder George protested.  Please let us know if he has completely recovered from the trauma.  And Miss Jain, as I have no avatar, I would be very pleased to be represented by your impression of me.  Go for it!  Thanks.  Nancy

Kat, those fuses are sure full of surprises, when I first got my George I had a day where he had his lights on but would not run.  I came to the forum late at night during Thanksgiving.  Very quickly Sue in Australia had the answer for me, telling me to check the fuse, and then where it was and the spare.  Mine did have a couple shorts in the circutry, but knowing that we can get help here rapidly is great.

Enjoy George, and try to only feed him sandwiches, plastic bars don't digest well for our Georges!

Wahoo!  Good for you, Kat.  Inserting the industrial needle (no flat side) takes a little getting used to...and the smaller the needle size, the harder it is to place it properly.  Now you & George can go play again.  Be sure to post some pics of the quilts you're making and don't be reluctant to ask any questions here.  

Enjoy the day, Nancy in Tucson

Archived