T-shirt Pillow

A new customer contacted me about a t-shirt quilt for her son's graduation this month.  She wanted it made from his soccer shirts.  When I quoted her a price, she didn't want to pay that much for something she wasn't sure he would use.  Instead, she requested a pillow.  When we met to look at the shirt layou for 15 shirts (9 on the back, 6 on the front), I realized that the smallest pillow that would work was 30"x30".  I kept track of time and charged her for time plus materials.  It's not a cheap pillow - but it did cost less than she would have paid for full up quilt.  Have any of you ever done this before?  I put a zipper in the bottom seam so that the cover can be removed for washing if needed.  LOL - I'm not a clothing seamstress, so this is only the second zipper I've ever sewn into an item.

post-3823-0-16547800-1368994243_thumb.jpg

post-3823-0-76179700-1368994264_thumb.jpg

Bonnie,

I charged her an hourly rate plus materials (interfacing, batting, and the pillow form).  Since it took me about ten hours total, it wasn't an inexpensive pillow - but the actual charges came in under the estimated charges for the customer and she agreed to them.  This was far less than she would have paid for the full up t-shirt quilt had we gone that route.  So, it was a compromise.  I hope that she, and her son, are happy with the pillow.

Lynn

I've never particularly liked T shirt quilts, but understand why people want them for the memories they bring.  This pillow is a fabulous idea - gives the memories, and can be used in the family room, man cave, screen porch, etc - where ever one spends time, instead of being tucked away in the bedroom.  Also, the person who receives it is less likely to "outgrow" it.  Clever you!!!!!

Thanks to everyone for the positive comments.  I wish that I could take credit for this idea - but my customer actually suggested it.  I wanted to share the idea with you so you could decide if this might fit your customer's needs.  I note that Campus Quilts, which has a killer marketing campaign and makes quilts for customers across the country, now offers a large pillow made from 8 shirts - 4 on each side.  I can't tell from the site picture whether or not their pillow cover is quilted.  I'm not quite sure how they hit their price points even with high volume.

I delivered the pillow to the customer this morning; she was very happy.  I'm glad that I listened to her suggestion and made myself work outside my 'typical' box.  While I was initially skeptical, my customer's reaction tells me that this is a potentially marketable thing.  She will post to her social media sites - so that is a help in terms of future business.

Have a great Monday!

Lynn

• 2 weeks later...

Archived