Is anybody up for a swap?

Oh my goodness Claire...you sound so much like me at the moment.  I shouldn't have smiled at this, but I guess I felt your pain because Lord knows I've done this myself.  Take a deep breath and a nice break then go at it.  It will all be fine. 

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Oma. I just hate being late because I thought I had this so under control. But then I told myself what I always try to remember when life throws me a curve ball. "If this is the worst thing that happens to me today, I'm probably having a much better day than more than half of the people in this world". And then I decided to take a Starbucks break, pulled up to pay for my drink and was told that the person in the car ahead of me had paid for my drink. Random act of kindness just when I needed it!

Claire, It's okay!  You're not the only one who's blocks aren't ready to mail...mine too!  They should be finished by the end of the day, iron on the freezer paper and sign them at the store tomorrow before I mail them.  

Life does throw us curves, but I'm excited to see all of the blocks.  Two weeks from now it will be as nice to get a package in the mail as it would have been next week.

Maybe these recent events weren't our plan but God's.  And yes, we're much better off than 50% of the world!

Heidi it sounds like your plate has been pretty full. I hope it all works out. But relieved that I'm not the only late person. Theresa has been so great organizing all of this that I hate to slow her down on being able to get them sorted and sent out. I mean 22 times 22! That's a lot of blocks to have hanging around the house.

claire, if it's not too noticeable can you just leave it?  Sometimes I use the wrong side of fabric to give me just the color I'm looking for.

And just so you all know, my blocks aren't done yet.   They were, but now they aren't.  Stupid me cut 13" squares, did the applique, and ended up with 12 1/8 - 12 1/4 blocks- not 12 1//2 when finished.  SO< I have to redo 12 of them this weekend.   At least I figured it out before I did all 22. 

Theresa, my "background" is white on white and the section that was wrong side up was pieced with another background piece touching it. It wasn't noticeable until I started taking off the white paper that was behind it. The remake is going pretty quickly and I am about half finished with the new half blocks. Sorry you are also having to redo some blocks.

I am glad to see I am not the only one whose blocks are not in the mail. Had I known what life was going to bring I would have picked a different way to do butterflies. I started to mail them and realized I forgot their antennae so now I have to embroider 44 antennae.  So sorry, I really planned on being on time.

By the way, everyone's blocks are wonderful! I can hardly wait to get mine.

Thank you all for being so patient and understanding with my slowness.

I'll mail mine out tomorrow once I get Teresa's mailing info ... I lost most of Monday as sewing time because my husband's flight was all messed up. Finally it was cancelled after a 12 hour day so I drove up to Denver to pick him up. But I made up for it the last two days and really got going on the blocks.

Here are the 22 bikini "log cabin" blocks. I say log cabin in only the loosest sense ... they are a bit courthouse steps with an odd strip sewn in here and there.

post-18162-0-79266700-1375401497_thumb.jpg

Everyone's blocks are looking amazing. I can't wait to see what we do with them!

Well, dang nab it!!! Had to take out the embroidered antennae on the butterflies as they pulled the block up too much so they will drawn on instead, and then to top it off as I was measuring tonight, discovered the blocks are 1/8 inch off in places, the only solution is to unfuze the bodies of the butterflies and unsew and resew one of the seems. Have no idea how long that is going to take and I am already 3 days behind in getting a customer quilt where it needs to be so it is finished by deadline.  You may have to go ahead without me if I can't get these in the mail by Monday.

Bekah, I can deal with the block being 1/8" off.  I can take a little smaller seam if need be.  Are all the blocks off?  Is it just 1/8"?  Maybe everyone else feels the same.  The swap is suppose to be fun not stressful and hard.  Before I unfused a bunch of butterflies and resewed seams I would add fabric around the outside of the block and call it a day.  It will all work out fine...you'll see.

Bekah, I'm sure we can fudge that 1/8 inch. I would say don't worry about antennae if it's not working. I'm sure they'll be lovely and if we really want antennae we can hand embroider or draw them on ourselves. Once I got over my original panic, I have relaxed and am enjoying working on my redo.

No one, except us, will know what the size of the blocks is supposed to be. I have "resized" so many blocks in making tops, I can't remember how many I've done. We can all work around any such small issues. I hope everyone has a relaxing weekend. Looking forward to getting all the blocks. LET'S HEAR A GREAT BIG THANK YOU FOR TERESA!!! And, in my book, only God is perfect.

Archived