Is anybody up for a swap?

Did I read that everyone is putting their names and info right onto the blocks?  Or into the selvage?  Are they using a permanent pen?  Will the information distract from the design?  My brain is full of questions today.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry. I think I didn't explain things very well.  Everybody make 22 and send them to me.  You will get 22 back, including one of your own. 

Please sign your blocks with a permanent fabric marker. Sharpie is not a good choice.  If you don't want the signature to distract from your design just sign in one of the corners.  Like Cathy, I want to be able to see who made my blocks and where they were from.  When I was recovering from surgery, chemo, etc last year it gave me comfort to wrap up in one of our swap quilts and read all your names and places you were from.  It also makes a great conversation piece, especially with somebody who is sort of interested in quilting or with a new customer.

If there is anybody who would prefer unsigned blocks please let us know now, before we all sign them.  i will try to get a count of how many unsigned ones you need to send.

Thanks to everybody participating.    Now, back to quilting.

Information included with the blocks, but not necessarily written on them in permanent ink on the block itself exactly.  Last swap I laid all the blocks out with the post-it notes with the info on them and took a pick so I know who did what.  Just thinking out loud I guess.

I think I would also prefer unsigned, but if some are already signed that's fine.

If most people haven't signed theirs yet, maybe it would be easier to just provide the info to all, and then those who wanted the info on the actual blocks could add it themselves when they receive the finished blocks.

Just a thought ...

Oh gosh - Teresa, is it hard to have a list of signed, unsigned, or don't care?  I like the person to sign (like an autograph). but I've never divided up blocks in a swap like this so not sure how much work that is?  On the return envelopes or mailing label we could indicate our preference, of course thankfully there are some who may not care either way, so after the signed and unsigned are distributed, the rest could be divided to those who don't mind? 

I'm thinking I may give this quilt to my granddaughter who wants to go to college in California and live at the beach.  She isn't going to know or care who the people are.  I figure I could put the story on a label and attach it on the back with all of the countries (states) listed.  I'm beginning to feel better so my brain if functioning somewhat. 

I have not signed my blocks yet as I am still making them.  I have done several swaps and I really like having the signatures/place where they are from, on the front of the block.  I don't find it at all distracting from the block or the over all look of the quilt.  I understand how some would rather make a label with the names and I have done that before too....label ends up being rather large though.

So, I will wait to sign blocks until I know just how many want them signed.  Then I will send signed and unsigned all together.

I hope that this doesn't end up making an organizing nightmare for Teresa! :blink:

I will do it either way, but maybe we need to agree that all will sign or all will not sign. Now, Nevaeh already signed all her blocks that she made.  That was the part she thought was neatest.  I you all want to do unsigned then that is fine, I will just write your name and place on the blocks.

if you want I will upload a picture of the swap quilt on our bed so you can see what it looks like to have signatures on the blocks. I don't think it is distracting or bothersome at all; but that's just my opinion

Ok with me either way I guess. I was thinking because all if the blocks are so different it might be strange because they would be signed in different places in the block. But having everyone's name in their block Is kind of nice. So I'll go with whatever most people want or is easiest for Theresa. Asking her to keep track of who wants signed or not might be asking a little much of her.

I'm ok with signed or unsigned, but prefer all the same so I don't get lost in what I'm supposed to deliver. I'm thinking this started as a 'signed blocks' swap, perhaps we stay with that so Teresa isn't unduly burdened?

I'm loving the block designs posted thus far, thank you! I'm working on my kite block, trying out a few variations on the kite tail. I'll post the final design soon, but likely after the distraction (joy!) of the VT quilt festival, yahoo!

Archived