Pantograph advice

I've been having so much fun playing with my new Freedom.  The more I learn, the more I realize how much more there is to learn.  Good thing it's fun!  Yesterday I tried one of the pantographs that came with the machine, and it was quite fun too. Not as hard as I thought.  Does anyone have any pantograph advice?  Where to buy(online)?  Favourite designs?  Anything at all, I'm a sponge.

Lori

Empty Nest LAQ

Lori

I google search quilt pantographs for online ordering sources, there are numerous sites.  My fav designer is Jodi Beamish, (former owner of Willow Leaf Studio).  Willow Leaf Studio, Urban Elementz, Quilts Complete, Anne Bright and Sew Thankful are just a few online sites that sell paper and digital pantos.

I like especially leaves, vines and swirls. Happy searchiing, the selection is endless.

Leslie

I suggest picking out a couple of quite different styles, trying them out, and then waiting until you need a different design before ordering what you need.  I got a list (from this forum) of favorites, and ordered quite a few of them, assuming I'd use them since others found them useful.  I discovered that I liked some much better than others, and still have several that have not been used yet.  I admit I don't have time to do much quilting, but if I were to do it over again, I'd go slow on ordering - even on the basis of a list of what others have found popular and useful.

Hi Sponge  :)....

My favorite is also Willow Leaf and I met Anne Bright at the first MQX I attended.  She has alot of wonderful pantos...my advice is to be careful that they aren't too dense or it takes too long to quilt them if you are in business.  Several that look good and that I have used alot are called Swirls, and Popcorn.  They are easy, fast and look good on any kind of quilt, except appliqué of course...:)

Thanks so much, ladies.  I went online and checked out a couple of these sites.  Wow, the selection is endless!  Bonnie, thanks for the advice on going slow.  Sometimes in these situations, my ADHD kicks in and I tend to jump in with both feet.  That gets expensive.  Vicki, you are a smart lady.  I don't know that I would have thought about the density of the pattern being a problem.  I will definitely choose carefully. 

Lori

Empty Nest LAQ

My Freedom loves "Cascade" and "Featheration", both are big open airy Pantos yet give so much to the look of a big quilt.  My favorite site is www.quiltscomplete.com and the owner, Nancy read, is a gem to deal with.  I just ordered several geometric pantos such as Bauhouse, Spirals and honeycomb and look forward to using them on my new Freedom with a few 1600 inch Quilts I just made.

What I have been doing, is going to some of these talented ladies web sites and taking note of what pantographs I like sewn out from their pictures they have posted. It really gives you a nice idea of what it is going to look like on fabric. 

We have thousands of paper patterns and add new patterns just about every week. You might like to try something that has an organic feel to it since that will be the most forgiving, leaves, swirls, curls, etc. In addition patterns that don't have too many long curves will be good, since it can take a little getting use to to make a smooth long curve & then still be able to stop exactly where you want.  Also at least on our site since we have patterns for every skill level you'll want to make sure to pick patterns that you can clearly follow without having to backtrack. If you purchased your machine new, you should've received 2 pantographs from our company in the boxes.  Also many of the new patterns that we add are 25-50% off for the first 10 days that they become available. Our patterns are available in many sizes for each pattern also. When in doubt the default size is a good way to go.  Most recently I added a basic meander, and two maple leaf patterns yesterday and several new patterns on last Friday that are still on sale.

We have 3 different venues as part of our website so when you get to the main page, you'll want to click on the green logo for paper patterns (blue for digital quilting/craft formats that are downloadable and the red logo for downloadable embroidery formats).

Have a great time with your machine.

Jess

Archived