very frustrated with offers I'm getting

I am trying to sell my Ultimate II.  I'm already offering it at about half what it's worth. I have ads on the major quilting forums and on Craigslist.  You would not believe the number of people who have called, emailed, and texted with ridiculously low offers. I had one person offer me $600. Another one just now offered $900.  I know what's it is worth because I called and checked.  Have others selling used machines had this experience.  I did ask the seller to come down a tiny bit on the machine I bought, but not to this extent... And that was only because I had to buy gas and pay for a hotel to go get it that weekend.  I am trying to be polite to these folks, but jeez... this is getting silly.

Okay, I'm done venting now. Thanks for listening

This may be a hard time to be selling cause they just came out with the new white machines with all those new options.

I think the market is saturated right now with used machines from those who traded up.

I am thinking that there are getting to be more really nice used machines out there as the competition for new features heats up amoung the makers...you used to buy a machine and it was good for 15-20 years..(talking mainly about DSM but probably applies to long-arms now too)....so folks trade their old ones in to get the newest and best every 3-4 years.....so lots of  nice used machines out there....I recently looked at ebay to see what folks were bidding on Viking SELE's as I have one....350-650 for a TOL machine just maybe 4-5 years ago...went for I think somewhere around 6-8000 when they first came out....I picked mine up for 4000 brand new when the new TOL's came out....bummer!  Lin

Teresa, we just sold a truck and remained firm on our price and finally got it. We were not in a hurry to sell and wanted a fair price for a good truck. We had so many people offer us payments; and less money and the truck price was a whopping $5500!  Hang in there and remain firm and I am sure you will get what you want or close to it.

Thanks for all the comments.  Lisa, we do plan to stick to the price. $1900 is roughly half of what the machine is worth. I won't come down any lower than that. 

I agree people want the new top of the line machines, but even nice used ones are holding their value pretty well.  I will just sell it when it sells; it just won't be set up for people to try it out.  I plan to put the new table up this weekend :)

Teresa, I think I would go back to the price it is worth.   People often think if it is priced too low, that something is wrong, and think if they can get it for less it would give them money to have repairs made.

Some people are Just nasty.. My response to the two you mentioned would be "That is insulting".

Prayers that it will sell.

Teresa,  

I sold my '02 Millie in March, and I got exactly what I was asking for it.  Last week I also sold my Bernina 150 for what I was asking.  No one tried to get me to lower the prices on either machine.  

I agree with RitaR that you should price it at what it is worth.  You mentioned in your post that you checked on what the price should be, was that with APQS?  Do you have any tools, books, that you are no longer using?  You could list those items to go with the machine, along with a "lesson" on loading the quilt, oiling, quilting simple designs.  Have you tried listing it on Craig's List?  

Good luck!

I have an ult II and this is a better machine than it ever gets rated. I just had a spa on mine and it runs like new. My machine is probably 20 years old. I cried when the thought of selling my machine for a new one crossed my mind. You hang in there who ever gets your machine is getting a bargain. Do not lower your price come back to what you originally wanted it is worth every penny.

Ginny

Stick with your price,its a great deal for someone! I live in Nashville not far from you. Call

TVQA,Tennessee Valley Quilters Association,they can send out the info on your setup. Also,my guild is MCQG in Nashville can send it out too.On second thought, I can do that.

If you Google TVQA, it will have all the guilds in Middle Ten. and the email addys and numbers.I feel very sure a buyer will pop out the woodwork!

Amie Tarpley

• 3 months later...

Archived