vintage singer question

i finally found another singer 15-91!! *yay* i knew moving to the boonies, i'd find one quicker :)

the problem is that the previous owner, for some god forsaken reason, used brown plastic tape to tape something to the harp....

my question- how can i remove said tape and sticky residue without harming the finish/paint of the machine???

post-2130-0-40764200-1369259421_thumb.jpg

Here is a trickwe were told to use on the sticky tape residue left on the edges of our bulletin boards at school.  They suggested that we spray it with Awesome and then let it sit for about 10 minutes then use the Mr. Clean magic eraser on it. They say it will come right off.

Shannon,

I'm not sure if it would work on your machine or not, but I use a product called GooGone on adhesive I want removed from things.  You might try putting some on a rag and rubbing the machine with the rag in a small section.  I'm not sure I would spray or put the product directly on the machine.  I wouldn't want your decals to come off.  I've been able to buy GooGone at Target in the dollar section for a small bottle.  I hope you are able to restore your machine to it's former glory!

I've had pretty good luck with WD40 sprayed onto a rag and then wiped onto the residue.   Do not use anything with ammonia as it will silver the decals.   Just read Annie's post.  I've used GooGone but it works slow on old adhesive and I don't have the patience .  I like the idea of WD40 and a q-tip though.

Nigel

Hi Shannon,

Soak it with baby oil over and over until it comes off. The baby oil will not hurt the finish, and it will leave it shining. Don't use any kind of solvent, alcohol or soap as your decals will suffer. Once your new baby is free of the tape, Wipe the baby oil off with plain water and dry well. Then you can use a good boot wax or a carnuba wax without abrasives to seal the finish and stop any further damage. I do this on my featherweights. Any of the vintage machines can be treated this way. You'll find very good instructions on how to care for the finish on the featherweight site belonging to Graham Forsdyke. http://www.singer-featherweight.com/

Also, you can find the birthdate of your machine on the singer dating charts located there or on the singer.co site. The model 15's are really nice machines! I have several that are absolutely great.

Debbie

I use GooGone all the time to remove sticky residue. I use painter's tape on the plastic overlay on my table to mark off the edges of Pantos and have to remove the residue every so often.  GooGone seems to have an oily base and sometimes the oil needs to be left to penetrate before it loosens the goo.  Baby oil may well have the same effect.  I would be nervous of the Mr Muscle stuff - I know it takes some paint when I remove marks from the wall!

so i tried WD-40, it worked to get the rest of the plastic part of the tape off, but it didn't do anything to the glue residue. it did help remove some ?rusty/oxidation? spots *yay*

then i remembered i had some baby oil gel, so i tried that. slowly but surely the dried glue residue is coming off...no damage to the finish or decals

i did car wax the throat and base and it's amazing the different that made...

i took the hook assembly out, cleaned, and oiled and now she purrs like a kitten when running!!

once i get the rest of that nastiness off, i'll share more pictures....

i did find a cool silver needle case in the box with all the different feet/attachments *score*

post-2130-0-18594200-1369341470_thumb.jpg

i got it all off, i used the edge of a rotary ruler :) . i think the tape held a pin cushion- you can see the gouges in the finish

then gave her a good spit polish with car wax!

she's a beaut! can't wait to get some thread and see how she stitches

thanks to Debbie for suggesting the baby oil! that was the ticket!

post-2130-0-63114400-1369344747_thumb.jpg

What a transformation. I have used Avon's Skin So Soft on pine sap. That may have worked too. But you would have to test it first to make sure it didn't damage the decals. I am glad you were able to get the tape and the adhesive off.

Archived