Farmer's Wife quilt

I have a daughter who has proclaimed many times in the past that she is not, and never will be, a quilter. Well, guess what?! She actually went to a quilt show last weekend with a friend, and the Quilting Bug bit her! LOL  NOW, she wants to make a Farmer's Wife quilt! She does whatever she puts her mind to, and I know she can do this, but isn't this a bit ambitious?! I told her I'd make one along with her and she could shop in my "store" for fabric is she wanted. Now I'm almost afraid she'll take me up on it!

Would love to know how intense these 6" blocks are and if the instructions in the book are adequate for a beginner. She made 3 quilts a year ago from fabric she brought back from Ghana, and her natural design talent had me in awe. She drafted and pieced them without any help from me, and even used natural linen for sashings. The quilts turned out gorgeous,........... but a Farmer's Wife quilt?

Should I encourage her, or not?! She lives 4 hours from me, so it's not like she can just pop in to get some help. :huh:

Here's one of the quilts she designed and pieced. She even designed the quilting pattern for it.

post-12-0-61649400-1369267819_thumb.jpg

I would encourage her, and perhaps persuade her to do just one or two of the little blocks a month. It could be a shared block of the month project between the two of you. Since it is basically just a sampler quilt, have her start with the easiest blocks and then move up to the harder ones.  She can learn many patterns while she develops her piecing skills.

Have her check out this blog where they did a quilt a-long

http://fussycut.blogspot.com/p/shop.html

Looks like she's a natural from that beautiful, unique quilt. Like Theresa said, you could do it together as a block of the month, or week or whatever. Looks like she would prefer a sampler to making the same block over and over from the quilt you showed us. Sounds like a fun mother-daughter project.

That quilt is one beautifully executed quilt, from design to quilting - I am in awe!  I am interested to know about the quilting design she created - is that one that went in to a computerized system or is that freehand (if so, tons of ruler work?)?   I have no doubt the two of you together can tackle a farmer's wife.  Do you communicate by email? You could always send pics back and forth through there and/or by phone chat? I have a feeling she will do it and do it well if this quilt is any inclination of her talent!

Wow! Love her quilt....I have this book...I am in the middle of the Dear Jane quilt which has even smaller blocks...there is so much help online...she will be fine....what is the worst that can happen...she will have to redo a block?

Yikes....I went to searched for the farmer's wife...it is an awesome quilt....but...I don't like making templates that much!  ummm....I have one of my first attempts at a sampler quilt in a nice box under the bed...my 1/4 inch seam was not spot on when I started it... I have 3 blocks done and they are differant sizes ...oops!  Would I do it again...you bettcha!  Might I dig it out and finsish it someday?  Yep! It tought me a few lessons...my 1/4 inch seam is better...but not perfect....but now years later....I could probably fudge it enough to make it work.....but I still don't like making all those fussy little templates....I took an auto mechanics class once...learned to change my oil....learned I did not like changing my oil...so I pay to have that done.  I self taught myself to make one of those fussy little crocheted doilies....finished yah!  Never again...but I did it!  So....I say let her do it!  Whatever happens, nothing is lost!  ummmm....maybe some more stash is gained though.....Lin

Your daughter would learn alot from making the Farmer's wife quilt.  However, the book really does not have any instructions in my opinion.  There are templates, or you can purchase a cd that work with EQ to paper piece it.  That is how I have been making mine.  

Keep us posted on her progress.

Beautiful Quilt!  Farmer's wife  quilt is also on my bucket list :). Marti Mitchell has free instructions that use her templates for many of the blocks.  I think she has another session this summer of  free instructions, you just have to be on the mailing list.  I have been receiving them and they look very well written.  That being said, I haven't started yet so I don't know how beginner friendly they are.   I do have the templates already, but I would have bought them anyway, as I'd rather use those instead.     

When my daughter was quite young I was told by a very wise person that I could not "pave the road in front of her" . Let your daughter find her own path, we can already see how talented she is. She may discover following patterns vs. designing her own quilts is her quilting calling. Just cheer her on no matter what path she takes. Personally I'd be jumping for joy if my daughter even knew fabric stores exist! You are one lucky mom!

Your daughter would learn alot from making the Farmer's wife quilt.  However, the book really does not have any instructions in my opinion.  There are templates, or you can purchase a cd that work with EQ to paper piece it.  That is how I have been making mine.  

Keep us posted on her progress.

~~~~

What a lovely first quilt! And a wonderful surprise for you that she wants to follow in her momma's footsteps and quilt. I'm sure you are over-the-top proud of her  :)

Ditto what Sharon says, there aren't any instructions in the book for the block patterns, but I think a Google search, putting in block names, could help her in constructing the blocks. I've been working on a Farmer's Wife quilt off and on. I only take it out when we go to a weekend motocross event in our trailer -- it gives me something to do and I take my little Featherweight. There are some fairly easy blocks that she can start with and learn her way through by going from easy blocks to the more challenging ones. That scant 1/4 inch seam will be the first to learn, but when she gets that down, she will be fine  :)

You know we will want to see pictures when she is done!!

Darlene, if your daughter is anything like as headstrong as mine all you can do is stand back, ready with fabric, help, advice etc when needed and simply admire her creativity, energy and determination. It looks like your daughter is more than capable of achieving anything she sets her mind to - beautiful 1st quilt by the way.  She may not approach it the way you or the rest of us would but she will learn along the way and achieve another beautiful quilt!

The day my daughter says she is going to make a quilt is almost unimaginable.  She IS creative and definitely adventurous... but sewing? It doesn't seem likely at this point - I can only hope!

I am happy for you that your daughter is showing real interest in an area so important to you - another 'string' to link you together!

Thanks for all your advice! Yes, she is headstrong and VERY competitive. She went back to school when she had 3 little ones, 2, 4, & 6 years old, and got her nursing degree with a specialty in labor & delivery in 4 years flat. She was 36 years old when she started that little project, and finished 1st and 2nd in the class. 

After a year of piano lessons when she was 9, she wanted to take more lessons when she was 15. The teacher put her straight into Grade 8 Royal Conservatory, which she passed with Honors. She was determined to play those Grade 8 songs better than I could, and she did.

Her 2nd daughter, Chloe, is the quilter. She made her first one (twin size) at "Nana Camp" when she was 10 and another one last year (for a bigger bed) when she was 12. Her seams were perfect, and I had to do very little coaching.

post-12-0-40693900-1369331316_thumb.jpg

Have her check out this blog where they did a quilt a-long

http://fussycut.blogspot.com/p/shop.html

Thanks Teresa. That's the blog she sent me to. She's pretty pumped about this. I finally finished my "Stars for a New Day" quilt, mostly paper pieced, and didn't intend to take on another big project until I had some of my UFO's completed!

where can we get the pattern? Nice work, simple and looks like it goes together quickly.

Sorry, no pattern. She just drafted it on graph paper, then started fussy cutting and putting it up on the design wall. I just stood back and watched a small miracle taking place. She's alway sewn, and even made the bridesmaid and flower girl dresses for her own wedding. I knew quilting would be easy for her if she ever decided she did NOT need to compete with me! LOL Maybe that time has come. At least I know who to leave my fabric to now! She just texted my hubby and said, "If/when you come up here, bring fabric!" I'm in a state of shock right now! :o:D

That quilt is one beautifully executed quilt, from design to quilting - I am in awe!  I am interested to know about the quilting design she created - is that one that went in to a computerized system or is that freehand (if so, tons of ruler work?)?

I was in awe too when I saw what was happening on the wall. She had said she just wanted to cut rectangles and put them together to look like the fabric hanging in the shops in Ghana, where she delivered her first baby. SO...........when she started drafting and fussy cutting, I realized she's more like me than she'd like to think she is! LOL

With regards to the pattern, we looked through the hundreds of digitized patterns I've designed and those that I've purchased. Nothing was right. So I finally handed her a piece of paper and said "Here. You can draw. Show me what you want." A minute later she came back with a sticky note with this line and oval on it, so I set to work digitizing it. There is now a whole collection of patterns on my site that originated from that little drawing. She called it "Mango Chain" because she said it reminded her of the Mangos that hang on chain-like strands from the trees in Ghana. I think it's perfect for this quilt. Each row is only 1" high.

Oh Darlene you know there is no such thing as too much fabric. Well that said I am actually purging my stash this week. My quilt guild is asking for fabric to sell in small bundles at the boutique at our next quilt show, so it's a perfect opportunity to weed out things I used to love. I looked at the farmer's wife quilt. That is a beast. I not sure i could stick with it for 111 different

blocks.

Claire

Archived