Need advice about scrap quilt

I have always loved the look of scrap quilts, and after finding an EQ file piicture of one in google images I thought I'd make it.  Here's the problem. I'm too matchy matchy to make a scrappy quilt, I think.  I picked out teals and bright pinks and bright greens, and yellows, and oranges and purples and started cutting and assembling.  The corners and the center are 8 point stars. I feel like those need to be matched. The other blocks create the scrappy look, but I can't get a visual picture in my head of which fabrics to use.  Here is what I have so far, and another picture showing the fabrics I've picked out.  Does this look scrappy, or just weird? 

post-1022-0-41060500-1369353403_thumb.jpg

post-1022-0-71444200-1369353480_thumb.jpg

I think what you have will be very nice.

I make lots of scrappy quilts and I have found it useful to separate fabric by value.

Then assign each value it's place in the quilt.

This way, you don't lose the pattern in the scrappiness.

Thanks to everybody. I did go did through the totes and find a few more fabrics that I added to the mix. They are all in those same color families, but a few are a little lighter and a few are a little darker.  I also added a few multi colored pieces, not sure how or if I will use those.  After tonight I will probably have to put it on hold until after the kids leave.  I promised Nevaeh I would help her make a quilt and we are going to use up all the scrap strips and make the scrappy x pattern from TQS website.  It will be easy for her and it doesn't matter if the strips are all the same width or not.  I can make her happy while I clean up some of the fabric I have.   I might see if her little sister wants to try, but she is more into dirt and tractors than sewing.

Bre- the tomboy  and Nevaeh- at the Paducah quilt show

post-1022-0-44042500-1369359943_thumb.jpg

post-1022-0-55403000-1369359964_thumb.jpg

I like scrappy but I don't like pieced chaos.  I think you have hit the right balance of symmetry/color coordination with scrappy with the blocks you have made so far.  I could be president of the "Does it match?" club.  Making a scrappy quilt would be a real challenge for me - maybe I should put that on the list!

Teresa, I think your quilt is going to be beautiful with the fabrics you have selected.  I really like the pattern also.  Can't wait to see it when you get it together.

Your granddaughters are beautiful!  That little tom-boy makes me smile just looking at her picture!  I used to be a tom-boy too......a longgggggggg time ago  :D

I have trouble not being too matchy with scrap quilts too.  I don't like patterns to look too jumbled.  I think you make it work with the different values and a cohesive background or sashing/borders.  So Teresa, your white background and the green borders on the one Dell showed bring them to a pleasing order for those of us too 'controlling' :)

I remember being told ages ago, when I was making a scrappy log cabin, to put all the dark strips in one paper sack and all the lights in another and just pick a strip but I couldn't resist putting it back if I didn't think it went well! :wacko:

Archived