Stitch regulator issue-help!

Hi, Everyone!

I am having a problem with my encoder, I think. Going side to side every once in a while it slows and starts making giant stiches. I adjusted the encoder wheel. Then actually ordered and changed the wheel as the rubber was getting very hard. It seemed to help, but now this morning it is happening again. Once I stop, check the encoder wheel and start up it is fine again but will randomly do it. It is fine in non stitch regulated mode, so I don't think it is timing. Any clues as to what to check next? Any help is much appreciated. :)

Sharon

Sharon,

Does your machine's encoder connect with a white connector to the wire coming out the right rear side of the machine, or is it a "phone jack" style? If your machine has a fluorescent light then it's got the molex kind. It's possible (if the encoder wheel's making good contact) that the wire harness itself has developed a short inside. That can happen over the years from all the flexing that wire does.

If you have the white molex connectors, to diagnose if it's the wire, you can try this:

1. Unplug the carriage encoder box from the long wire going over to the right rear side of your machine.

2. Take that long wire (coming from the right side of your machine) around to the left side. Unplug the HEAD encoder box from its wire on the left rear side of the machine.

3. Plug the long wire from the right side into the black Head Encoder box. Basically, you're going to fool the machine into thinking that the head encoder box is really the carriage encoder box.

4. With the wires connected this way, the machine will NOT sew left and right at all. But it should sew front to back. If it sews with no stuttering or stalling, then the wire is fine and the trouble may be the carriage encoder box itself (since right now it's disconnected and eliminated from the equation.

However, if the machine now DOES stutter, stall or skip stitches when you try to move it forward and backward (remember it won't stitch side to side) then that means that long wire has a problem.

The wire can be replaced (no need to send it to the factory...it's something a customer can easily do). Just give us a call on Tuesday and we can get it sent to you (it runs around $35). If we need to focus on the encoder box itself, we can also evaluate whether the problem is the short little wire coming out of the box and connecting to the longer wire, or the encoder itself. But first things first. :)

So I am having no problems at all right now. I did look, however to see if there is a grounding wire. There isn't. I got the machine after M&M wheels had been put on so I have a sneaking suspicion that it. May have been static. It have been very humid here recently, and that may have quelled the static for the moment. I think I will call and get a grounding wire and see if the problems stay away when the humidity drops. Fingers crossed.

Sharon

Brenda's machine was doing that a few years ago.  It has the Molex connectors that Dawn was describing.  I found our problem in the cable by turning the stitch regulator on and moving the machine side to side and wiggling the wire to the encoder at the same time.  Turn out the the heat shrink tube had slid down the cable and a wire was broken right at the pin of the connector.  The wire was just barely touching the pin so sometimes it would lose contact with the movement of the machine.  The heat shrink tubing stops some of the flex right at the connector.

Nigel

Archived