She's officially addicted.

This is my 8 year old granddaughter Nevaeh who is staying with us for the week, along with her little sister and her male cousin.  Nevaeh has been begging to make a quilt, but I don't see her very often, and her mom works. We decided we are going to make her quilt this week.  Today she stitched four of these 6 1/2" squares. She has a bunch more to make before Sunday.

Update: Day two. She has two machines running at the same time and is bouncing back and forth. She stole her grandpa's computer chair to put in front of the embroidery machine She has decided she can press her own pieces, but I am still rotary cutting.  She's working on her scrap quilt pieced blocks and her machine applique surfboards for the block exchange.  The sewing room and dining room table both look like a tornado hit.  :wub: Do we need to schedule an intervention or let her become totally hooked?  LOL

post-1022-0-81734500-1369793839_thumb.jpg

Nevaeh said thank you to everybody for the compliments. She would like to get it finished but she says 14 more block is A LOT!!! (with 8th year old expression added). We are going to work on it some more Friday and Saturday and see how much we get finished. 

I was thinking of playing elf to the quiltmaker and doing a few blocks for her while she is sleeping, but then it wouldn't be her quilt.  The plan was to get it pieced and then have her quilt it with Lenni.  She really wants to, but not sure if we will finish this weekend or not.  I will probably keep them another week this summer, but not sure when.  

Sylvia, go for it.  We started her sewing last year.  I just set the speed on the machine all the way to the slowest it can go. I do the rotary cutting and ironing for her.  She just sews her seams and chooses her fabrics.  This is the first quilt piecing she has done. She went with me to the fabric store yesterday and learned that cotton is not slick and shiny and almost everything else is slick and shiny.  She has also learned to use the 1/4" foot as a sewing guide.

Heidi, she said thanks.

Nevaeh - how pretty is that name and her fabric choices.  I had the chance last year for our Kaitlin (age 6 at the time) to take her to the fabric store where she picked out her fabrics for her first quilt and sewing experience.  We cut the fabric out with the GO cutter (I loaded it and she cranked the handle).  I did all rotary cutting if needed and pressing.  She sewed all her blocks into rows, I pinned and matched them and then she sewed the rows together.  I quilted it and sewed the binding on.  She was so thrilled.  She told me this last weekend that she used it all winter to curl up on the couch when watching tv.  Her friends cannot believe that she made  almost all of it on her own.  I had to raise the foot pedal up so she could reach it to sew.  I hope I get the chance to do this with her again.  Her mom cannot sew on a button!

Good for you!

My granddaughter was about the same age as yours when she decided she wanted to quilt.  She lives in Iowa, so we had to wait until she came for a visit in the summer. This is a picture of one of the things she made.  We just took muslin and batting and made a sandwich and then she used the Lenni to quilt it. Then we sewed it together to make a large bag. She is 13 years old now and still takes it on trips with her.  It is wonderful when your grandchildren want to learn to quilt or sew!!

8884585136_ee59511e2b.jpg
Granddaughtersbag by DyanCT, on Flickr

It is so neat to see how your grandkids are loving it! It is awesome when the grandkids are excited to do exactly what we are excited about!  Our granddaughter, Chloe, has quilted on my Mabel, but her mom and aunts have no desire to sew.  So she is pretty proud when she can show them what she made at nana's house! :) 

Archived