Top Thread Breaking on my George Quilter

Brand New Owner of Geroge Quilter!  My top thread keeps breaking.  I'm only practicing on practice pieces right now b/c I'm new at free-motion quilting too SO i'm really a Newbie all the way around on any Quilting Machine.  The first time I tried it broke right away after only a round or two. I retreaded the machine, loosened the tension b/c the thread was tight coming thru the tension guide and reinstalled the bobbins to make sure all that was correct.  This gave me more stitching time and the thread didn't break for about 5 minutes of stitching BUT it broke! NOW WHAT??  My book says to check for burrs on bobbin case, but this is a NEW machine, no time on it and it's practically just how they shipped it to me. If ANYONE can help me troubleshoot this problem I would APPRECIATE IT....tnx

Congratulations and welcome, Judy!  Your thread issue may possibly be as simple as how quickly you are moving your quilt sandwich underneath the foot and needle.  If you happen move it too fast you can put undue pressure on the thread and cause it to break.  I would try to rule this out first by concentrating on moving your quilt sandwich at a slow to moderate even pace.  If you already think you are going slow you may possibly be going slow enough that the stitches built up causing the thread to break. See if an even movement helps alleviate the problem. (Before I added stitch regulation to my old Ulti I had lots of issues with thread breakage that were related to me and not the machine. :)

Let us know if this helps or if you have continued issues.  Wishing you a quick resolution!

You'll soon get a "feel" for the best tension for your machine. With the top thread through the needle and the bobbin thread pulled up, both threads should take the same amount of force to pull them to the side.

I also recommend applying Sewer's Aid on all threads, especially thick threads like King Tut and Signature cottons. It tames the lint and keeps the thread happier with lots less breakage.

Good luck and please know that you'll figure it out.

I have a George also.  Sometimes it is a bad needle that has a burr in the eye, or the thread can get caught in the thread path and break, when it is running at a whipping speed from the spool to the needle. 

We do figure that there shouldn't be a burr in a new machine, but there are places that one could hide even during the best of times.  Has your needle hit any hard spot while you are practicing?  That could cause a burr in the needle plate hole, or the bobbin area.

Most of my thread breaking is usually caused by operator error instead of George himself.  You might try a different spool of thread to see if the first spool has some weird spots in it, then on another pass try to use a different bobbin in case there is a burr there.  I have a new embroidery machine and couldn't figure out why it was shredding and breaking the thread.  I took it to the shop and they couldn't figure it out because everything seemed to be working correctly.  Finally the shop owner was holding my bobbin in her hand and found a burr on the plastic bobbin itself.  When they changed bobbins it corrected itself.

Keep trying different options, one at a time so you can tell what the real culprit is.  Good luck and come back here with any other questions, the folks here are great with help.

I have only had my George a few weeks, but I just occasionally have the thread break. Somewhere I read that the George works best with polyester threads, so that has been what I have been using. I may try the cotton thread on my next project to see if there is a big difference. Good luck using George. You are going to love your new machine!!

Hey, Judy...isn't it great how the people in this forum come to the rescue whenever we have questions or problems?  You've received some great advice here already.  Please be patient with yourself and with George during the learning curve...particularly if you are 'new at free motion'.  You can make things easier by running a polyester thread like Lil said.  When I first began quilting on my George (and I was very experienced at free motion on my DSM) I had lots of issues with thread breaking.  I found that my George loved a particular thread from Superior... 50 weight So Fine.  Now that I am a George rep, I always give a couple cones of So Fine to my customers for their early practice pieces.  And now that I'm experienced with the machine, I can use just about any thread I choose without trouble.

I agree with Madelyn that breaking thread is often caused by operator error rather than by the machine, the thread or the needle.  Marci is also right about the speed you're moving your hands.  Take it slow and steady...George's foot pedal is a little clunkier & less responsive than the ones on most domestic machines...it takes a little getting used to.  Once you get a feel for the machine, you'll be able to quilt as fast or slow as you like...you'll be able to take just one stitch at a time or backtrack over existing quilting lines.  It just some deep breaths and practice, practice, practice.  Those of us with George machines just love them!  Soon enough, you will too.

Nancy in Tucson

I don't have a George, but a Millenium and was having some issues with top thread shredding for no apparent reason.   No burrs, good needles, etc.    I happened to looked closer and noticed my thread was rubbing on the edge of the machine after it went through the last guide and then to the needle guide.   I have the fishing rod "eyes" on my machine, so I moved that one lower and so far, so good.   I have the "eyes' just held on with silver duct tape, so I can adjust them if needed.   

Archived