What causes this?

Boy am I frustrated :wacko:  

I have been trying to quilt a friends Bargello quilt with a curly pantograph design using Fantastic variegated on top and Magna classic bobbin.  The thread breaks about every 4 inches.  The thread acts like it is too tight, but when I loosen it then it pools on the back or loops on the top.  I have loosened the bobbin, tightened the top and vise versa repeatedly and it hasn't fixed the thread breaking. 

Then I checked, re-checked for burrs, grooves in eyes, checked and re-threaded the machine repeatedly, changed my needles and needle size 4 times. Checked the tensioner and cleaned it.  It is fairly new, about 8 months old. I then put in a different thread, just in case it was the Fantastic thread causing the problems, and it broke with it too. 

I have an Ult11 with Intelestitch regulator set on 12 spi.  Ult11 machines do not have a hopping foot. So, in order for me to clear all of the bulk seams I have set the hopping foot above the seams, but still touching the fabric top. I have had the foot set this way for a long time and have never had any issues doing that.  I even took the throat plate off and re-checked the hook, clean everything with WD40, oiled up Pandora and re-tested.  As soon as I start quilting on the quilt, the thread breaks :angry:

I will try to post a couple of pictures so you can see what I am talking about.  The top thread coming onto the back looks like it is actually stitched on the back...what causes that? 

post-4204-0-46946100-1370042596_thumb.jpg

post-4204-0-41209200-1370042620_thumb.jpg

post-4204-0-62543200-1370043254_thumb.jpg

post-4204-0-37743600-1370042578_thumb.jpg

Laura, My Ultimate II has done that before. Check to make sure your thread is really between the two little disks in the tensioner.  Also, try wrapping your thread a different way in the three hole guide, or try a thread net.  It's because the thread is not getting to the needle at an even speed.

Thanks... I have a thread net on the cone, checked the thread in the tensioner, and have wrapped the thread through two holes..up and down not around the three hole guide. I even pulled a whole bunch of thread off the spool thinking that it might be bad....but then when I changed to different thread and it still did this, well I am at a loss.  I wonder if I need to get some more eye's for the thread path? would that help?

Is the tension spring working as it should? Does it move downward about two hours from its resting spot when you pull the top thread back from the needle? Meaning if the spring sits at 11oclock, it pulls down to nine oclock (or from ten down to eight, depending upon its starting position). I experienced similar top thread problems pooling on the bottom recently, and my spring had lost its sprung, and thus was not applying consistent tension with each stitch. A new spring solved my problem.

I did check that and when the spring is resting it is at 11 o'clock and when thread pulled it came down to 9 o'clock....BUT, I do have a new spring I could put on and see if that helps!

Anyone else have any suggestions?????

Laura:  Check your 3 hole pretensioner and make sure that it's tight, and in the proper position.  Also check the check spring and make sure that the back of it isn't dragging on the machine.  A clue to this is if the paint is rubbed off where the spring cycles.  If the check spring is dragging, loosen the little set screw that holds the tension assembly in place, and move the assembly out enough to provide room for the spring to move freely.  Also check the position of the wire thread guide above the cone and be sure there's something (I use a small piece of batting) in the loop to help contain the thread as it pulls off the cone.  Good luck.  Jim

I only loop my threads thru the middle hole of the 3 hole thread guide. I do this with EVERY thread I own!

Also, you shouldnt need to use "the wad of batting" thing in any guide. Thread tension speaks for itself. It's either your tension from above, or your tension set in your bobbin case itself.  That is why I have a bobbin case for every different thread I use. EX:  One for bottom line, one forso-fine, one for Glide..one for rainbows..etc.!

• 5 months later...

Laura:  Did you get this sorted out?  If so, what was the cause?  Jim

I think have this issue resolved.  At least it hasn't behaved like this since we replaced the hook assembly.  Then we replaced the needle bar as I had some issues with the bar moving about 1/8th inch back and forth.  Things are nice and tight now and I have been humming away.  I purchased this machine used and the previous owner didn't have a clue about maintenance.  Things wear out and need to be replaced.  I wish I had realized things needed replacement sooner, would have resolved many of the problems I struggled with over the past year.  :huh:

I will be keeping the 'mineral oil' trick on file as I do have a couple of threads that I can use that on!

Thanks for all of the great input I got from everyone...sure did help :wub:

I did check that and when the spring is resting it is at 11 o'clock and when thread pulled it came down to 9 o'clock....BUT, I do have a new spring I could put on and see if that helps!

Anyone else have any suggestions??

At 9 o' clock your top thread is still too loose.  Tighten the tension disc until the thread is hitting between 7 and 8 o'clock.

Archived