Help with ideas for either panto or custom

Imagine my surprise, while being prepared for my shoulder surgery three weeks ago (in a small private surgical care center), when a sweetheart of a young lady came in my room hauling a black garbage bag and asked if I was the patient that did quilting.  Puzzled, I told her, yes (wondering how the heck she knew this and how she knew I was here since I live three hours away.)  Here, she was one of the office gals and heard I did quilting but she had no idea what a long arm was.  She wanted to be sure she got to see me before I went in surgery and ask if I would 'sew this blanket' her grandma had made for her a couple years ago.  She said her grandma had asked what her favorite color was and went ahead and surprised her with this quilt top, backing fabric and batting. (Her grandma made 22 quilts for all her grandkids!)  In the meantime, this young gal lost her husband (in his early 30's) and has been caring for her young son alone, so this was just stored away until she heard about me in the office.

Long story short, she left the bagged quilt with my dh and dd and went back to work, and I went off to surgery.  I didn't look at the flimsy until last week, and I was shocked - she had made it sound like it was just a plain jane top that she just wanted to get done so she could tell her grandma she got it finished.  It is beautiful, it is huge, and there is tons of work in it.  I gave her a call and told her this was a beautiful heirloom, and I felt her suggestion of just stitching some lines across it just wouldn't do this justice. She gave me rein to do whatever I felt would work, no matter.  This is where I ask for suggestions.

I will not be doing intense quilting for a while yet, and she is fine with that.  When I do get back in it, if I possibly did a panto what would be your suggestion?  I would rather do some custom, but I don't really know how to break this up in to specific areas other than the borders. I would like to do some feathers in the borders for her, beyond that - ??

I've got some time to ponder this - drawing out ideas is out yet because I'm right handed and that's the arm I had surgery.  But I would love to get ideas from you gals to think about. Thank you so much!

What a beautiful top! I was looking at a ten-year-old pattern book just yesterday and this quilt was in it done in neutrals and I love it!

Two choices to think about. There are two blocks--the pinwheel and the 16-patch. You could quilt what's there--CCs all over. Cream on the cream and maybe a dusty purple or green on all the colored piecing. Easy to quilt but mindless. But it'll be so pretty and the quilting will be even all over. Your special touch could be used on the separating borders.

The other pattern you see on this top is the big block made up of the 16-patch in the center and the HST pairs in each corner that make your eye see an almost 3-D effect. Doodle a design that fits that bigger square and stitch them all the same.Disregard the piecing and just fill that on-point square. Options would be a feathered wreath, of course--even a square one to fill the space. A scrolling geometric design would work--mirrored in a quadrant for symmetry. Even huge double-or-triple CCs or Terry Twists to cover that large square would be great on this bright quilt.

I imagine whatever you choose will thrill your customer and give her a beautiful remembrance of her mom. 

WOW!  That is really an heirloom - you are going to make it amazing Marci.  I like the idea you had for feathers and I would do them in the checked border if it was me.  You know how I like my swirling borders and that might be a choice for those outer borders.  If you're going for the feathers I might do a fancy little motif in each block - I cannot wait to see what you do with it!

I'm SO SO SO glad you talked her out of a couple straight lines too!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the responses so far.  I, too, had been thinking of cc'ing but didn't know where to stop.  CC'ing the whole thing would then show as small and smaller circles all over the back.  I'm thinking if I cc'd in the hst's, then something feathery in the 16-patches up to the first visual bordering, SID there, something other than cc's in out that first hst border, SID, then feather the16-patch bigger border, and finish with SID the two small outer borders.  Those of you with seasoned eyes and visualization, how does that seem it would look from the back as well?  Again, thanks for all the help!

What a beautiful top! I was looking at a ten-year-old pattern book just yesterday and this quilt was in it done in neutrals and I love it!

Two choices to think about. There are two blocks--the pinwheel and the 16-patch. You could quilt what's there--CCs all over. Cream on the cream and maybe a dusty purple or green on all the colored piecing. Easy to quilt but mindless. But it'll be so pretty and the quilting will be even all over. Your special touch could be used on the separating borders.

The other pattern you see on this top is the big block made up of the 16-patch in the center and the HST pairs in each corner that make your eye see an almost 3-D effect. Doodle a design that fits that bigger square and stitch them all the same.Disregard the piecing and just fill that on-point square. Options would be a feathered wreath, of course--even a square one to fill the space. A scrolling geometric design would work--mirrored in a quadrant for symmetry. Even huge double-or-triple CCs or Terry Twists to cover that large square would be great on this bright quilt.

I imagine whatever you choose will thrill your customer and give her a beautiful remembrance of her mom.

Linda,Do you remember the name of this pattern or what book it was in? Becky

Archived