Top thread and bobbin colour

I don't know what I would do without this forum.  So much thread!  So many colours! So many kinds!  I'm just starting, so I've been sticking with Glide thread for now.  It was recommended to me, and I really like it. So far, I just have six basic colours, and it was easy to order the top thread plus the M size bobbins that went along with the same colour kit.  I'd sure like to play with some different colours, but not all of the colours offer pre-wound bobbins to match.  I could wind my own, but isn't bobbin thread usually thinner than the top thread?  Does my top thread have to match my bobbin thread?  

You can wind anything you want onto your bobbins, some machines can be particular with different threads but you won't know that until you try it.  Usually machines work well with the same thread on the top or bottom although I have heard that King tut can be difficult because it is thicker.  Your top thread does not have to match your bottom thread but you have to really fine tune your tension to make sure that each color does not peek through to the other side.  Thicker batting helps on that too.  Hopefully this is helpful to you....

I sometimes get difficult combinations like a white top and a black backing fabric, so the first time I used white thread on the top and a black bobbin, very very difficult !

I just had it again and I used creme bobbins on the black backing fabric, so nothing peaks through and the back looks really interesting. But tension and checking it

a few times is really the most important part.

A reminder that your bobbin thread doesn't necessarily need to match the backer. If you have thin batting (as mentioned above) match your thread colors or use the same tone. A dark gray bobbin thread looks like silver on a black backer and will work with almost every medium-to-dark top thread. Then for a lighter top thread, use a medium gray in the bobbin. Your back will be interesting--in a good way! :P

Archived