Leader Grips

Okay, so I've ordered my leader grips.  From what I understand, they're not too hard to attach.  I've actually found a couple of videos that look pretty helpful.  What I haven't been able to find, though, are instructions on how to sew the casing sleeve (right term?) into the canvas to slip the dowel into.  I'm sort of assuming that I can actually do this with my longarm machine, but I could sure use some advice on exactly how to do that. Thanks.

Lori

Empty Nest LAQ

Hi Lori

I have red snappers but I think the principal is the same to make the casing sleeve.  I measured carefully along the edge of the leader and folded over the edge the measurement that they recommended.  I pinned this so it was secure and then attached my side clamps to the ends to try to keep the leader as taunt as possible.  I used my machine to stitch along the edge to make the casing.  It is a little slow going as you stop and remove the pins.  I tried to keep my stitching as close to the edge as possible but it is still a little wavey.  I did this to the 3 leaders and they seem to be working great.  You'll love the leader grip concept.  So fast and easy to load and take the quilt off the machine.

Debi

Angela,

I'm curious why you decided to switch to Leadergrips.  I purchased Red Snappers after checking out both products on line, and by asking on this forum, and it really didn't seem that there was a significant difference.  I actually don't remember exactly why I decided on the Red Snappers - maybe because Heidi uses them?  But they seem to work just fine, and it looks to me like they work exactly like the Leadergrips I've seen demonstrated in Matt Sparrow's videos.

Just wondering....

Bonnie,

When I started using Red Snappers I couldn't turn the pages in a book for about 4 days. After those first four days it didn't hurt my hands, though. I've found the LeaderGrips didn't need that breaking in period. With the slight modifications I made to the Leadergrips I'm happy with them. If I hadn't made those modifications I don't think I would be as happy. Also, I found the Red Snappers are heavier and I found I would bump into them on the first pass of a quilt. I'm not finding that difficulty with LeaderGrips.

Plus, I really like the LeaderGrip company and I wanted to support them. 

I folded over 3/4" the length of the leader on the backing and the take up roller leaders (I float my tops), pinned them together along their folded edges (overlapped 1/4" doesn't matter) and then stitched across.  I don't have horizontal or vertical locks, so I used a clamp on my carriage to keep my machine from going moving forward and back, guaranteeing  a straight horizontal row of stitching.

I also wanted to mention I didn't use dowels for inside the leader casing.   I purchased 3/8" (outer diameter, 1/4" inner diameter) poly tubing from Farm Fleet cut to the length of my leaders instead. This way it is solid the whole length of the leader.  One piece had some coiling going on since they sold me the inner end of the roll (the part wrapped around the center). It worked fine, but I would just make sure not to accept the piece if it comes from that inner part of the roll just to make it easier for you. I just took a heat gun and heated up the tubing at a distance to relax it, and it worked fine.

Wow, thanks to everyone who responded.  Everyone is always so willing to share.  Angela, I just checked out your blog, and that's exactly what I needed.  Your instructions are very clear.  Thank goodness for you wonderful people who have the presence of mind to do tutorials!  Where would we be without them.

Thanks so much

Lori

Bonnie,

When I started using Red Snappers I couldn't turn the pages in a book for about 4 days. After those first four days it didn't hurt my hands, though. I've found the LeaderGrips didn't need that breaking in period. With the slight modifications I made to the Leadergrips I'm happy with them. If I hadn't made those modifications I don't think I would be as happy. Also, I found the Red Snappers are heavier and I found I would bump into them on the first pass of a quilt. I'm not finding that difficulty with LeaderGrips.

Plus, I really like the LeaderGrip company and I wanted to support them. 

Angela, what was the slight modification you made to the leader grips.  If I am reading your quote correctly, it would seem that your adjustment was more important than just a slight adjustment.  I have  been on the fence about these products and any clarification would help.  Thanks

Angela, thank you for your tutorial on making the casings for the leadergrips.  They helped alot.  I  tweaked it somewhat (read: too lazy to pin and make extra stitch lines) by just measuring and drawing a 1" line from the edge of my leader.  I used that pencil line as my crease line.   Then, using my clamps I straightened and stretched out the leader as much as I could, set my channel locks on and sewed along the edge of the leader now that it was folded up.  (not along the crease line) The hopping foot gives me a natural 1/4", thereby making my casing now 3/4"

Anyways, thanks for the tutorial, it was very helpful!!

I have the Red Snappers a few years, and find them still hard for me to use.  I have to ask Himself to help put the "clamps"

on with the leaders for the quilt, used as the part to clamp down.

With arthritis in my hands, shoulders, elbows, and back problems, scoliosis etc. 

I believe I will get the Leader Grips..Maybe I will be able to use them with less pain..

Thank you for all the info from everyone.

just wondering if I could just attach a leader strip to my zippers and add the dowel ,my brain is not clicking on all cylinders but thinking about this later on down the road ,sounds like it would work in my brain anyway ,lol

i've wondered about this too.  since you are taking 2-1/4" off each leader, is that a problem.  also, i really like my zippers but leadergrips look really interesting to me.  i thought i saw a setup like that one time

Bonnie,

thanks for the suggestion, I even hurt just putting the little clamps on that holds the quilt back in place while putting on the longer clamps.  It still hurts my hands. 

After thinking it over, I may just go back to zippers.  I have the zippers, and I dsm baste the backing onto the leaders anyway..

Will think before I make up my mind.

Rita

Regarding use of zippers and leader grips - I'm going to try to keep flexible options.  I have the zippers sewn to my Millie leaders.  Folded the zipper edge over to make a casing for the leader grips (and by the way, I really like the other options instead of fitting the dowels in their little sleeves and heating them).  This way I can use either the leader grips, or the zippers.  My friend is finding that on long quilts the leader grip "bump" gets too bulky, so she is using them on shorter quilts, table runners, etc.  So nice and fast!  My big problem is that in doing all of this my leaders are now not even and taut all the way across.  So I did something wrong, and need to redo/recheck them.  Rats.  I'd rather just be quilting . . .

On my older machine I had zippers installed and then reinstalled new ones cuz I wore them out.  Needless to say, my canvas leaders were a mess and I didn't want to mess with them and take out all the stitching. I just sewed a sleeve onto a zipper, put in a casing on the edge.  They work like a charm.  On my newer machine I folded the canvas over and stitched it with my longarm much like Debi suggested.  They work great!

Cher

I decided to go back to zippers.  I still have to dsm the backing to the leader I have on the second side of the

zipper.  That part is simple to do.  Loading it on the frame is easy, so no sense in continuing the red snapper.

Once I get the zipper leaders on I will have the Red Snapper set for sale.. and a few have been cut to smaller

lengths.  Made it easier to load a quilt that wouldn't fit evenly with a full length.

Rita

• 3 years later...

Archived