Paperwork/Invoice/Contract

I'm trying to get a system going now that I've started getting a client here and there.   I have a quilting form that has all of the information written out that we discuss  such as type of contact info, quilting, batting, thread choice, dimensions, and of course, agreed price and signatures.    Now, when it comes to payment and handing back the quilt, do you have a separate invoice you give, or a receipt or do you simply copy the original contract with a payment note on it or...?    

I'd like to have a copy of the contract for my records, as well as a copy of the invoice for future tax purposes when and if I get busy.  

What is your system?   

I make a copy of the invoice for the customer, write the method of payment on my copy, and keep mine in a file by year. That sounds like what you're doing. At year-end I organize the info myself to pass on to my tax man--my DH. If I had an accountant, a CPA, or more business I'd opt for a system for my computer. So far this has worked well.

Not that it's ever happened to me or any longarmer I know, but have the customer sign the intake sheet (that has all work done outlined) upon pick-up. Any disputes at a later time that can't be resolved one-on-one will need paperwork to prove that the work was accepted by the customer. 

With that scary addition I'll also add that I've had many customers pay with cash and leave their invoice on the table when they leave! They have no record of anything and are happliy home with the quilt.

I use Quickbooks software for invoices, to record expenses and tracking inventory. It is very easy to use. At tax time my bookeeper runs the applicable reports from QB and sends them to Revenue Canada. QB software is less than $100 at Staples.

• 4 weeks later...

I also use www.eurekadocumentation.com  (Machine Quilters business Manager.)  It took a while to set up all of the parameters that I want, list all of my thread choices, etc. And I changed my mind about how to set up some of my charges, but once everything has been entered, it's a breeze to use. You can even take digitial pictures of the quilts- before and after if you want- and include them in your invoices. I also created "customers" for each of the philanthropy groups that I sew for and create an invoice for each quilt that I donate. I'm hoping this will also help when tax season rolls around again next year.

Me too on the Machine Quilters Business Manager. She sends you updates when she improves the program. It is great for sending in quarterly state sales tax. I run off financial summaries for my tax accountant and just hand him the whole list. It sets up a nice bill to send home with customers, adding all the quilting charges, batting, thread, and sales tax ect. It is really easy to use.

I use my own intake sheet which I also have the customer sign.  When the quilt is finished I create an invoice using Eureka's MQBM.  I also print 2 shop copies of the invoice - 1 for my book-keeping and 1 to which I attach the intake sheet and put in my binder of customers.  I started this system when my studio was not in the same building as my 'office' (otherwise known as the kitchen table.)  Since moving I have just kept that system going.  It means all my income and expense/supply invoices are in one binder in date order and I also have customer invoices filed in alphabetical order which is great when I want to check what I did for them last time.  I could look that up in MQBM but I still don't keep the lap top in my studio.  Not very green but it works for me.

It makes perfect sense to me. As a classroom teacher, binders/notebooks are a way of life for me already.  I have been a Mac person for 2 decades, but had to buy a PC for MQBM and am still learning the ins and outs of using Windows. It seems like every time I go to turn on the laptop, Windows highjacks it for "updates" that take way too long to perform. Being able to access the backup customer files in paper form will keep me from grinding my teeth. My dentist and I thank you.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived