Another Quilting Customer Story (long)

You may remember, I posted about my Drop in and Drop Off Party when I got back from Arizona for the winter...one customer brought seven quilts that day and told me she had three or four more. Mind you, this lady is in her 80's! I asked if she was chained to her machine all winter! She is not frail but was in a horrible auto accident in 1980. Her pelvis, hip and most other bones were not just broke big shattered. She had to be cut out of the car. She was told she could never walk again, she proved all the doctors wrong but she is a little unsteady on her feet and walks with a cane that has "arms" at the bottom. I am always worried about her coming over and have offered to pick up and drop off for her at her home, but she is independent and would not hear of it, so I just started delivering by telling her I was on my way to town and might as well stop by.

I called her house to let her know the first three of her quilts were ready and I was dropping them off on my way to town, her husband answers the phone and says oh. I guess you didn't hear what happened.... My heart sank, I love this lady she is just so refreshing and fun to be with. I start telling him I was so sorry and he says oh no she is not dead she just fell and broke her femur just above the knee and the bad thing is that it is her good leg. It happened in their garage and she was wedged between the car and cabinets so it took paramedics a long while to get her out, in the mean time her daughter was called who is a nurse and she rode to the hospital with her in the ambulance.

Later her daughter was telling me her mother was so worried about getting her quilts done it was all she could talk about in the ambulance and before surgery! Now that is a quilter!!!!

She is in a rehab hospital and must remain non weight bearing on the leg for 3 to 4 months, her husband asked me to visit and talk quilts to get her mind off therapy and boredom. She was still fretting about getting them all done so I offered to sew on the bindings so she can hand stitch while she is confined. She beams when I show up looking like the bag lady lugging quilts, she had her daughter get the rest of her completed tops to me along with their made bindings or the fabric for them.

I have been making bindings and sewing bindings it seems nonstop! Last Thursday was their 60th wedding Anniversery! I took a card and flowers to them, he visits every day without fail lugging his oxygen tank along with him. I am quickly running out of her finished quilts and will have to come up with something else for her to do soon! Gotta love her!!!

That is so wonderful...both that she still quilts and that you are kind enough to visit her and bring her the quilts....when my mom was in the nursing home for three years....I would bring crocheting for her to do and when she no longer could do that...I would just sit by her and do the crocheting....she enjoyed the hand work!  Does this lady do other handwork?  Like Lynn suggested, maybe she would like doing some other type of handwork once she finishes with her quilts.....Lin

It is my pleasure to visit her, last time I got the whole courtship and wedding details, so cool, I could have been their flower girl! LOL!! They got a kick out of telling me their story and I enjoyed it too! They are just a super couple, I hope to be that bright and happy when I reach their age God willing!

What a wonderful story, Shar! Thank you for sharing! God Bless you for being such a good friend to her! I'll put her in my prayers for fast healing; femurs are such an important bone and I know it is very difficult for her to be non-weight bearing. God Bless her too!!!! Keep us posted..........

Oh Shar,  Your story brings back the wonderful days I was given to spent time with my best friends Aunt Josephine.    Aunt Joe fell and broke her back and I had just quit my job so I was available to take  her to the doctor, errands, ect.  Long story short, I was her companion for several years, until she passed away.  I thank god every day for bringing this wonderful lady into my life.  What a treasure your relationship with your customer is for you.  Enjoy every minute with her!  

Shari, a heartwarming story- your customer / friend sounds like a lovely lady and she is fortunate to have you in her life. I imagine myself at 80 and I am sure I will be thinking mostly about how I will finish all the quilts I want to make. How wonderful of you to help her!

What a wonderful story!  You are such a blessing to this lady and you may find she is one to you too!  I am sure your kindness means more to her than you know!  Linda is right, maybe hexes or maybe she would be interested in learning needle turn appliqué (that would give her a project to work on that takes alot of time)...It goes to show how generous and caring quilters are! :)

I love hearing about quilters like this!  We can only hope that we are the same.  Glad we are still that active and busy at that age.  My mother will be 86 this year and still going strong, especially on the quilting.  I just finished 2 large quilts for her and still have 2 others, plus 2 table runners and a candle mat that came in the box with the quilts.  She just finds a box, sews until it's full and then mails it and starts on the next box.   hope it's in the genes!

Shar that is such a bittersweet story the bitter part she fell, the sweet part you made a friend for life and made her day. I hope she finds something to keep her occupied until she's up and able to do her quilts. I have made the dearest friends from things you wouldn't normal expect to and have stayed friends. You are a treasure.

Archived