Another Quilting Customer Story (long)

Honestly fellow quilters, I did not post this for personal Kudos!! I appreciate all the nice comments but you are giving me waaaay too much credit here, I just enjoy knowing this person, I would do the same for any friend if I was able and I bet all of you would too! I know I would never have met her with out becoming a quilter though. Quilting brings so many people together and my life has become so enriched since becoming a quilter in so many ways. I suspect that is true for all of us! Thanks again and I will keep you posted on her progress, your prayers for her recovery are deeply appreciated too!

Good story. It's such a blessing for people to be able to continue to do what they love to do into their twilight years. My husband's grandmother quilted by hand into her mid 90's. She was impressive. She baked bread and played bingo until she was about 95 when her glaucoma caused her to stop. We can all learn from our elderly friends and relatives. She went into a nursing home when she was about 97 or 98. She lived to be 100 years and 21 days when she passed. My mother in law Dorothy would quilt with her. Their quilt squares were very precise. And, they did not have rotary cutters at that time. Dorothy passed this past February at the age of 94. After Grandma died, I don't think Dorothy quilted any more.

well that bought a tear to my eyes this morning.  What a lovely story and you are being such a caring person by binding her quilts and dropping off her quilts to her.  I hope she recovers quickly too.   I hope that I am still keeping busy with quilting at that age....  maybe I will be using a walking frame to totter up and down along my longarm !!! 

You are such a wonderful person!  I can't imagine what this poor woman's state of mind and heart would be if not for you.  Time is the most precious gift, and if you stick quilting in with it, it just doesn't get much better.  Thanks for sharing your story.  It's very inspiring.

Lori Davis

Empty Nest LAQ

Great news! I took two more quilts to "J" and she was so excited because today she stood on her non broken leg for 10 minutes while holding the broken leg in the air. She was holding on to a rail but that is longer than she has been able to accomplish even before she broke her "good" leg. Seven days a week therapy is really making a difference! She is such an inspiration! The physical therapist told her to work on strengthing her arms with those large rubber bands twice a day while she is in her room so she is doing it four times! She is so determined to get home earlier than the Doctors estimate. She told me how she has got it all figured out at home to get in and out of the bed, shower,and on and off the comode! Please God! Let me be like her when I am that age! Both she and her husband talk like the are so young, they are so engaged and show no signs of dementia. I am sure your prayers and positive thoughts for her are working toward her healing.

She was so excited to get two more of her quilts to bind. I mentioned she might want to do it for other people as suggested but she said she would just knit when she runs out of quilts, she has already started a pair of socks! I will be no help with knitting! LOL. She is so awesome I wish everyone could spend time with her.

Thanks again everyone for the prayers and kind thoughts!!!

So wonderful for you to take the time for your friend ,I also have a long time elderly friend also and he has tried to give me the world but I refuse to accept any of his generosity ,I just get satisfaction just like you, by just stopping in or calling all the time to see how he is doing ,we have been friends since I was 15 ,we live in a small town so needless to say he found out my social security number ( I refused to give it to him ) through another dear friend of the family whom is a banker and put money into a cd for me ,my mom use to make jokes before she passed away saying he may leave me his whole house also . Maybe your post will spread more acts of kindness .

• 4 weeks later...

Celebrate! "J " went home today! in a wheel chair still but home is HOME! She was so excited! She truly has everything figured out for cooking, getting in and out of bed, and all the daily things she needs to do. doctors feel she is healing well, but she still isn't allowed any weight on the leg. She is already figuring out how to get to her sewing machine! LOL.

Thank you everyone for the positive thoughts and prayers for this special quilter!

Ladies, all these stories give encouragement to us Old birds!!  lol.. I am just so inspired to get back into the swing of things.

Thank you one and all for helping your friends and enjoying it, lol, with or without a house.. (that comment was funny to me!! )

Thanks for being loving persons.. that makes the world a nice place.

Rita

Archived