Technical issues with Quilt Path?

jwalther420

Hi folks,

Just doing a sanity check here.  I've searched google but can't find any real hits.  Is anyone having technical issues (connectivity, error messages, quality issues) with their Quilt Path?  We've had nothing but trouble since receiving ours.  We're basically on our second whole set of hardware and have yet to be able to stitch out a pattern completely.  APQS and Dawn have been very responsive and helpful but we're at the point where we're wondering if this product is ready for prime time.  

Anyone else seeing issues?

Thanks!

--Justin

What version of the QP are you using? Is yours a hardware issue? The Grace company has really helped me in the software issues. I have the machine and Quilt Path off as well as the usb connector fully inserted and the tablet off. The clamps for Quilt Path must also be fully snapped down. I switch on the Quilt Path switch on the back bottom of the carriage first. I then turn on the APQS Millennium with the power button and wait while it warms up and all the indicator stitch length buttons are on. Then I turn on the tablet and start Quilt Path. This sequence works best for starting it. I reverse the shut down. Karen

Hi Justin, I've gone through a lot of trial and error and in the beginning had a great deal of support from Dawn Cavanagh and Grace Co. I'm not sure if you are doing this but I find the following works best: I've loaded QP on my laptop in my studio where I design all quilting. I copy my quilt design on to a USB and pop that into my tablet on the head of the machine. I'm not saving anything to the tablet. I don't run any particular sequence in booting up each day, but the only thing I turn off at night is the switch on the head of my Millie. The tablet goes into sleep mode after a while and I keep the back power switch on as I was told by my personal technician that it was hard on the equipment to reboot it everyday. I'm having no issues now, when at one point I was feeling just like you!

Be sure your clamps are engaged on the belt or you won't get a connection to QuiltMotion. A new version of QP has just been released which has fixed the bugs experienced in the previous version. I strongly encourage you to call Grace Co. They know the software well and can be very helpful. The rep I've called many times is Chris. Here' are his details.

Chris Frewin: 800-264-0644 (tech support at Grace)

frewinc@graceframe.com If your tablet is connected to the internet, he can get access and determine and fix the software problem. Best of Luck. Stick with if you can. I'm very glad I did!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses Karen and Judy!

Yes, we're experiencing what we believe to be hardware issues.  Been working with Dawn (who has been great to work with!).  She also got us in touch with someone from Grace who remotely logged in to our system.  They noticed immediately that our QP was shipped with a beta version of the software.  Be on the lookout for that!  However, they were not able to fix the problem remotely.

Our entire QP was replaced, piece by piece.  We were getting "Your frame is not configured with matching motors and will not work" errors.  Basically, QP couldn't communicate properly with either the x motor or y motor.  Once about 1/2 the whole system was replaced, we stopped getting the x motor error.  Now that everything else has been replaced, we thought we stopped getting the y motor error.  However, we just saw the y motor error again today.  Today is our first chance testing extensively after the final replacement of parts.  Cutting power to entire system and restarting it all has cleared the errors for now.  However, needless to say, we're pretty skeptical that our system is healthy.  We'll continue testing.  

I am interested in hearing from Judi how one gets the QP software to load onto your laptop?  

Thanks,

Justin

• 4 weeks later...

Follow up - We worked with Grace Company and they were finally able to diagnose the issue as bad firmware on the motors.  They upgraded the motor firmware and the X/Y Motor mismatch error we were consistently getting went away. 

At the same time as updating the firmware, they installed the latest (at the time) software on our tablet.  We were going through some designing and noticed that the "optimize" button (the one that removes the jump stitches between pattern repeats) was missing.  It just flat out wasn't there.  Again with an e-mail to APQS and a local APQS sales person.  No word from APQS but the sales person was able to confirm that they were indeed seeing the button on their older version and that we should call Grace Company.

Called Wednesday first thing in the morning and didn't receive a call back from Grace until Friday after hours.  *Sigh*.  Finally got up with them today and "Oh yea, you don't have the latest software on your tablet.  Why is the optimize button missing?  Guess someone forgot to put it in this build."  *double sigh*  So we got the latest software (3.0.5.0.3?) and the optimize button is back and we believe we're in working order.

I guess the moral of the story is this:

1.  Quilt Path on the software side (firmware, tablet software) has some serious quality assurance issues.  I'm not sure I blame APQS for that but they don't seem to be very close with what Grace is doing on the software side.  Missing "Optimize" button doesn't happen when you're doing a good job in QA.

2.  Grace support is not what we need it to be nor expect it to be for the money.  We've had a couple calls with unfriendly and unhelpful folks there.  Waiting 3 days for a call back isn't acceptable either.

3.  In the end, the product seems to be decent.  I wouldn't dissuade anyone from buying but we would have appreciated knowing that we're still on the bleeding edge with this product and it may be a couple months before things end up working.  

Thanks,

Justin

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up - We worked with Grace Company and they were finally able to diagnose the issue as bad firmware on the motors.  They upgraded the motor firmware and the X/Y Motor mismatch error we were consistently getting went away. 

At the same time as updating the firmware, they installed the latest (at the time) software on our tablet.  We were going through some designing and noticed that the "optimize" button (the one that removes the jump stitches between pattern repeats) was missing.  It just flat out wasn't there.  Again with an e-mail to APQS and a local APQS sales person.  No word from APQS but the sales person was able to confirm that they were indeed seeing the button on their older version and that we should call Grace Company.

Called Wednesday first thing in the morning and didn't receive a call back from Grace until Friday after hours.  *Sigh*.  Finally got up with them today and "Oh yea, you don't have the latest software on your tablet.  Why is the optimize button missing?  Guess someone forgot to put it in this build."  *double sigh*  So we got the latest software (3.0.5.0.3?) and the optimize button is back and we believe we're in working order.

I guess the moral of the story is this:

1.  Quilt Path on the software side (firmware, tablet software) has some serious quality assurance issues.  I'm not sure I blame APQS for that but they don't seem to be very close with what Grace is doing on the software side.  Missing "Optimize" button doesn't happen when you're doing a good job in QA.

2.  Grace support is not what we need it to be nor expect it to be for the money.  We've had a couple calls with unfriendly and unhelpful folks there.  Waiting 3 days for a call back isn't acceptable either.

3.  In the end, the product seems to be decent.  I wouldn't dissuade anyone from buying but we would have appreciated knowing that we're still on the bleeding edge with this product and it may be a couple months before things end up working.  

Thanks,

Justin

Hi Justin,

I'm sorry to take so long to reply to your questions. I've just logged onto the forum for the first time in a while. I had some pretty extensive hardware and software issues with QP in the beginning as well. I had some great and prompt help from the folks at APQS & Grace, though. It's unfortunate that you've had, what sounds like, less than satisfactory service from Grace.

You should have received a copy of the software on a USB. I simply installed the software onto my laptop from the USB provided as I believe there are 3 installs permitted from the USB. As Jeannie mentioned, run it in "simulation mode" when designing. I save all of my created designs from the laptop onto a USB drive and then pop that into the tablet on the machine head when I'm ready to stitch it out. Hope that helps.

Judi

• 2 weeks later...

I have also had problems with QP since the day I received it in April.  I have been working with Dawn at APQS and Grace Co. to get the issues taken care of.  At this moment in time, my system appears to be working OK.  I say this with hesitance because each time I think we are all set, the same problems pop up again.

My issues have been the following:  studdering stiches, needle stopping in the down position and the carriage continuing to move (I have put several holes in quilts because of this), try to repair a pattern and the carriage will move to the end of the table and continue to try to move past the end of the table.

Just last week, we replaced a couple of circuit boards and wiring harness and upgraded to the latest version of the software.  I am still having the studdering stitches, but I also have a potential solution to that - will try it this weekend.  The needle has also stopped in the down position, but this time the carriage stops and I get an error message allowing me to manually move the needle before proceeding.  That is obviously much better, but I wonder why it is still happening.

Depending on who you get at the Grace Co. determines the level of customer service you get.  I have found one person to be a complete idiot and another to be extremely helpful.  I am disappointed that the only time there is support is during the week, as I do a majority of my quilting on the weekends (I work a full-time job during the week).

I love my APQS machine, but would be hesitant to recommend QuiltPath at this point in time.  I don't feel the product was/is ready for release yet.  The $9,500 price tag is hard to swollow when plagued with problems.  For that kind of money, I expect a product that is problem free.

• 4 months later...

I too love my APQS and have had my Quilt Path since the first part od December 2013. It's has been fun in an odd sort of way since attempted install.  All seemed well until I tried to install the needle sensor for my Freedom/07 I only had 1 of 6 pages needed. APQS sent out a complete set but by the time I could check my email nothing there and after hours for APQS (love California). Called again to find out it was Christmas party time and left a message. Called again next day because I was having issues because  my email and Dawn's email are not speaking. Bryan set instructions again from his email and then install was a go. I am now trying to quilt. Thanks to those that have posted videos more helpful then the HELP file. I wish there were more especially about trouble shooting. I keep having a problem while trying to do pattern repair after out of bobbin. I try to back track and the machine just runs off the quilt to the left till it hits something! All I could do was turn off the power. I'm still trying to get back to the spot on the row so I can complete. Of course it's after hours in IA.  So I thought I would grumble here. My previous life was a computer support person so I love the challenge but I feel sorry for someone without a goof background in Hardware and software trying to deal with techie issues. I sort of have the sentiments of the above poster $10000 and not the trouble free APQS I am familiar with.

Thanks for the offer, Dawn

Finally got things finished. Had alignment issues after the run away head thing. I didn't notice the drive belt had jumped a few cams before I got the machine stopped. I should have just walked away for the day but oh well. You have an email on it's way.  Thanks everybody

We had the same issue with quilt path when repairing patterns after running out of bobbin thread.  I would try to repair the pattern and nudging the needle to correct position get it all lined up perfectly trace to make sure and then when I tried to use pull bobbin or sew button the sewing machine head would just take off to the left or right and not stop until I turned everything off and back on  then I'd have to reload the pantograph reset my starting point and retry sometimes it would work other times it would just take off again.  If nothing else worked I would finally reset up the pantograph to start the row I was working on then I would take out the needle and let the machine "sew" with no needle until I got close to the spot I needed it at and then I would manually pull the bobbin thread and press sew - this would always work if nothing else did.  I then would knot the thread and bury the ends.

After many phone calls to grace company they upgraded our software for quilt path on our tablet to version 3.05.05.  I no-longer have the issue of the sewing machine head taking off to one end or the other of the table.

Hope this helps.

Jeanne

Hi Everyone,

I too have had serious issues with QP.  Almost all of the above.  I am in the middle of picking out row 3 on a quilt i am doing because i can not get it back to the the point i ran out of bobbin thread.  I am not sure why i too have to take out the needle and run thru the whole process to get to the spot i need to start at.  At one point i noticed my stitching turned in the middle of sewing the quilt to tracing the panto on the screen.  i then had to reboot everything and at this point i started picking out my quilt.  I too am a weekend quilter and have such a busy week i rarely have time to call for help.  I have down loaded the new update and i will try this process again.  Does anyone know of a simpler way to get back too the last stitch before the bobbin thread runs out.  Thanks

Terry

Thanks Shirley,

i will give this a try after i get set up again.  I unpicked the whole thing and am now in the process of starting over.  I will be back in a couple weeks to let you know if it worked.  Next weekend i am out of town.

Terry

Sometimes, if im having trouble realigning to where i stopped (and depending on the panto), i just tell QP to stitch in reverse from the right side. Then if it doesnt look like it is going to connect excactly, once it gets close, i stop QP and freehand connect the two sides.

Hello All -

I am a newbie quilter and splurged on a Mille with Quiltpath. Being new and trying to get Millie up and running and get QP installed was a challenge but my husband got it going.

I am trying to get the QP software loaded and "talking" to MIllie.  I booted up the tablet and registered the software. I watched Angela Huffman videos to get ready to play with QP and could not get the tablet to "talk" to Millie --- received an error saying "Unable to connect to the carriage. Recycle carriage power...". Checked our install multiple times and all seemed well. Re-read all the docs and could not see what we were doing wrong.

To see if I missed any info I tried to install QP using the thumb drive ---  on my desktop, and printed out all the manuals.  During this install I was prompted to install drivers....also stated that this process was described  in documentation provided with the machine and system (whiich I could not find?)

SO....I am supposed to manually install QP on the table and follow the prompts to install drivers so QP can talk to MIllie? I thought the tablet had all it needed to work??? This makes sense to me but I don't want to proceed without some technical support. Until tomorrow thought I check in with all of you on the forum.

Thanks!

Beth

Beth,

I have seen that error.  When I did there was something under the carriage that was not plugged in.   There is a large black box that sits inside the carriage.  I have a feeling that one of the cables going into it is not fully inserted.   It is a communications error.  The tablet can not see the carriage so it is connection that is loose or is not plugged into the right place. 

Archived