Ardelle! Are you on high ground?

It's awful.   I don't know where Ardelle lives, but everyone in the areas are safe.   close to 100,000 residents of the city of Calgary have been evacuated due to flooding.  I'm in the north part of the city, on higher ground.  It is awful.   The river in Canmore literally tore apart the highway and houses along the banks.  :(   Another area High River has been completely evacuated and is totally underwater.    Still have rainfall warnings for the areas, which is very very scary.   This came on so fast and sudden.   Heavy rains in the last few days along with the melting snowpack make for a messy messy situation.   

Most of the evacuated areas are without power, sewer, water - so depending where Ardelle is,  she may have been evacuated and staying with friends/family.    

Yes, Ardelle lives near Camrose (central Alberta), not Canmore (southwestern Alberta) so she is several hundred kilometers away from the floods in the south.  We've had a lot of rain lately, but no flooding -- except maybe a few basements -- in this part of the province.

No, Linda.  She lives near Camrose, which is nowhere near Canmore.  Canmore is close to the Rockies and Banff.  Camrose is near Edmonton, a 4-hour drive to the Rockies.

Barbara

This is from the news.

Colleen Schmidt, CTV Calgary 
Published Friday, June 21, 2013 7:47AM MDT 
Last Updated Friday, June 21, 2013 8:23PM MDT

The Town of Canmore was shut down on Thursday after Cougar Creek burst its banks but officials say power has been restored and some residents are being allowed to return to their homes.

Many areas were evacuated on Thursday and the town was virtually shut down.

Homes along Cougar Creek were the most vulnerable and those on the east side are still under an evacuation order.

Officers are conducting door-to-door searches in the evacuated areas to make sure no one is left behind.The town is still under a state of local emergency and officials are warning residents to stay away from the banks at Cougar Creek as they are unstable.

Yes I am fine. Camrose is over 200 miles from Canmore. The devestation in southern Alberta is unreal. I cannot stop watching the news.....many communities devastated, thousands evacuated from their homes. The flooding happened so fast, many had time to only grab their children and pets before evacuating. Three dead so far. My heart breaks for the people affected.

I'm so glad all our friends up in Calgary are safe, but praying hard for the victims, the 3 dead people, I pray

for their families.. all emergency response members in the field or in the offices, The medical staff from

ambulance folks, to phone receptionist, nurses, Dr.s, hospitals.

The folks who lost their homes, all they own in many cases..

Prayers are certainly needed and being sent up..

This makes me hurt inside.

While I'm sorry to have thought you lived in Canmore rather than Camrose,but  it is good news.  I have two relatives who lived in Calgary for  years before moving back to Ontario a couple of years ago  The whole area where they lived (2 different families) is badly flooded.  Now 2 deaths have been reported due to the flooding: the bodies were found in a truck in the flood waters.  Scarey!  I'm glad that any forum members out there have been reported safe.

Buttonflower

Yes, this has been devastating to the area.  I live about 70 kms from Calgary, and we\ve experienced the heavy rains, but there are no creeks or rivers close by, so thankfully no flooding on our property.  My old boss has lost her entire home in Calgary.  My studio is in Cochrane - which is between Canmore and Calgary - they have neighborhoods on evacuation watch, but so far the river has not overflown the banks there.  With all the heavy rains, and the forecasted higher temperatures, the meling snowpack could pose yet another problem for those downstream from the mountains.  Unbelievable damage in Southern Alberta . . . .I/m afraid it's not over yet.  Matt Sparrow (Sparrow Studioz) is organizing a "Quilts for Calgary"  . . .  there will be thousands who have lost everything.  Stay safe friends in Southern Alberta . . . 

Darlene, according to the TV news we saw tonight, the zoo animals are all safe and have been taken to higher ground.  An RCMP officer we talked to last night said that they were putting the big cats in holding cells, but I'm not sure how serious he was!  Imagine waking up from a night on the town to find you're sharing your cell with a lion!

Barbara

Darlene, according to the TV news we saw tonight, the zoo animals are all safe and have been taken to higher ground.  An RCMP officer we talked to last night said that they were putting the big cats in holding cells, but I'm not sure how serious he was!  Imagine waking up from a night on the town to find you're sharing your cell with a lion!

Barbara 

Barbara - I heard that rumor as well - but then it was clarified that they actually didn't move the big cats, but it is a contingency plan if the flooding at the zoo is so bad that they have to move them.  Guess you have to have somewhere for the big guys to be safe!

Archived